4 Replies
      Latest reply on Dec 4, 2019 6:39 AM by LooneyRoadrunner
      LooneyRoadrunner Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I am developing a learning app targeted towards individuals and schools/universites.

My app should be available in App Store as free app with a one-time IAP. But Schools should be able to buy a school/campus subscription for all of their students to be used on their personal devices (I have already three schools interested in it).

None of the options I found so far will support this business models. School Manager AFAIK only works with devices owned by the school, not personal devices. Plus, I'd need more than 50% discount per student and still make sure that at least the contract value is bought...

I was thinking about offering the regular IAP for everyone and unlock codes to be entered in the app for students of schools that bought my app.

I cannot find anything in the App Store guidelines about the second case. I am fine with paying the 30% share for Apple, but I don't have any idea on how to sell that app to a school/university and make if available free of charge for every student of that school on their personal devices.

Does anyone have an idea?

• Re: Sell Edu App to individuals and organisations
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,215 points)

You are aware of the checkbox in ASC that allows you to indicate you are willing to edu sell a given app at 50% of your chosen, price, right?

The institution buys your app in blocks with their account, then issues redeem codes to staffers/students who use that code to download, effectively making it free to those users.

Yes, I am aware of that. But to my knowledge, this requies all devices to be part of an institutions MDM.

Plus, I need more than 50% discount, i.e. I am selling individually with a price-tag of 19.99, but for volume contracts it's more like 2.00 per license.

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,215 points)

> But to my knowledge, this requies all devices to be part of an institutions MDM.

I believe MDM for edu is an option w/edu discount deployment, not a requirement.

The chart at this page lists MDM as compatible with redeem codes, not required - can, not must: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202995

-=-

Distribute content with Apps and Books in Apple School Manager and Apple Business Manager

Learn to deploy apps and books purchased in the Apps and Books section in Apple School Manager and Apple Business Manager.

When you purchase content for your school or business in Apps and Books, you can distribute your purchases directly to your users in one of three ways: User Assignment,* Device Assignment,* or Redemption codes.

-=-

> I need more than 50% discount

As for selling in volume, Apple doesn't provide an easy scheme for that in your specific pricing example, and that includes IAP. Apples Volume Purchase Program and B2B Program are typically employed, but as they do not focus on edu. At the least, you'll have qualification hurdles to overcome in those examples.

Instead, you may want to reconsider working with what Apple offers and take another, closer look at what Apple has already laid out for edu via ASM:

-=-

Letting Schools Buy Your App in Volume

Apple School Manager allows schools to purchase apps in volume and distribute them to classes.

-=-

I suppose you could simply hire on as a consultant w/those 3 schools, helping them to deploy your app internally, avoiding the store completly while paying you for your time, but that isn't easy to scale, so...

Good luck.

Thanks again for your reply.

I don't this that what Apple offers will fit the business models that work with organisations in the European market.

As far as I could research, I am still able to sell directly to organisations and have them unlock the App using a login or something similar as long as I am enouraging users that found my app through the app store to buy a license using IAP (which I am preperring since it means a lot less paperwork for me...).

Many language learning apps are apparently using this approach as well.