About Safari Technology Preview

Sorry as this is not a strong reference to this forum… I would just appreciate to know if others see this problem with Safari Technology preview.

I was invited 2 hours ago to update (from release 95 to 96). Hoping that would correct longstanding bugs, I did it. Bad decision.

Now, STP (Release 96 (Safari 13.1, WebKit 14609.1.9.7)) does not open any link (load progress bar stuck at about 10%: seems it does not connect to anything).

I've tested access to Google, developers forum, Apple. Nothing works. Except, finally, Apple: I did open Apple/shops/gift, but cannot succeed anymore).

Contacted support, filed a bug report and wait.

I've returned to basic Safari which works OK.

OSX is 10.14.6.

STP on another Mac (release 90) works fine as well.

Does anyone experience the same problem ? And possibly solved it (configuration issue ?)

Accepted Reply

I may have found some pattern for the problem.

If I try to access an URL which:

- requires authentication to access server

- is accessed through dynamic DNS (no-ip)

then it does not load and blocks any further download.

Until I restart STP.

But if I call an URL on the same LAN (direct IP adress + port) which requires the same authentication, it works.

However, this URL with dynamic DNS does work on the same Mac from Safari and from another Mac with STP release 90.

So looks like there is an issue to get the DNS answer from dynamic DNS ?!

Could there be any related setting in Safari Techno Preview dealing with DNS ?

If I get answer from support, I'll report it.

Bug report reference : FB7463041

EDITED

Further test points to a Dyn DNS issue.

I called the website using the resolved dynamic address. It works.

Tried again with the dyn dns address (no-ip): blocks this load and blocks STP until I relaunch.

However, tested on Safari with dynamic dns and with resolved address, both work.

I close the thread, waiting for bug report feedback.

Replies

After waiting for a few 6 hours, it suddenly worked again…

Was it waiting to get something in background ? Or was it a time needed to synchronize something on the iMac ?

Anyway, pretty strange ; it does not really gives confidence in updating system software by the time being (even though the problem may well have been on my Mac only). 😕

EDITED

I claimed victory too soon.

After opening a few sites (developers forum, with the updated pages, so no cache), it's blocked again.

And of course still working on the other Mac with STP 90 or with Safari on this iMac…

Let's wait a few more hours…

I may have found some pattern for the problem.

If I try to access an URL which:

- requires authentication to access server

- is accessed through dynamic DNS (no-ip)

then it does not load and blocks any further download.

Until I restart STP.

But if I call an URL on the same LAN (direct IP adress + port) which requires the same authentication, it works.

However, this URL with dynamic DNS does work on the same Mac from Safari and from another Mac with STP release 90.

So looks like there is an issue to get the DNS answer from dynamic DNS ?!

Could there be any related setting in Safari Techno Preview dealing with DNS ?

If I get answer from support, I'll report it.

Bug report reference : FB7463041

EDITED

Further test points to a Dyn DNS issue.

I called the website using the resolved dynamic address. It works.

Tried again with the dyn dns address (no-ip): blocks this load and blocks STP until I relaunch.

However, tested on Safari with dynamic dns and with resolved address, both work.

I close the thread, waiting for bug report feedback.