Test notarization on Catalina 10.15 VM on Parallels 15

Hey there--

I have been trying to gain some confidence that everything is working as expected with notarization but haven't been able to achieve what I need.

I have a 10.15 Catalina VM running on Parallels 15. The underlying OSX is 10.14.

I have versions of our app that should fail because they are not notarized but they still install and launch just fine.

I have checked that spctl --status and csrutil status both show as enabled (not sure this is related). I have checked that /usr/bin/xattr -p com.apple.quarantine file returns a value. I have ensured that I have downloaded things from a webserver.

No matter what I do, I cannot get the unnotarized app to fail to install/launch. Is there something else I can check?

Dan

Replies

I have versions of our app that should fail because they are not notarized but they still install and launch just fine.

Is this something you just built? Or something old? If it’s the latter, it may be benefiting from a whitelist that’s built in to the OS itself. However, if you just built the software than it should not run if it’s not notarised. I actually worked through this process recently, and it worked for me.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I think the problem is notarizing dev builds that have versions starting with 0000.xxxxx. These don't seem to fail. I was finally able to get something else to fail though!