NSPopover on a DockTile

I'm trying to fade in a popover on the docktile of my app. The whole thing should work like this: when a user clicks on the Dock icon, a popover appears above the Dock icon. The DockTile that belongs to the app is determined with NSApplication.shared.dockTile and I can also catch the click on the DockTile with applicationShouldHandleReopen. The view needed to display a popup is an NSImage which represents the ContentView of the DockTile.

import Cocoa
import Foundation

let applicationDelegate = NSApplication.shared.delegate as! AppDelegate

@NSApplicationMain
class AppDelegate: NSObject, NSApplicationDelegate {

let appDockTile =  NSApplication.shared.dockTile
    let popover = NSPopover()

func applicationDidFinishLaunching(_ aNotification: Notification) {

let dockIcon = NSImage(named: "AppIcon")
        appDockTile.contentView = NSImageView(image: dockIcon!)
        appDockTile.display()

popover.behavior = .transient
        popover.resignFirstResponder()

}

func applicationShouldHandleReopen(_ sender: NSApplication, hasVisibleWindows flag: Bool) -> Bool {

popover.show(relativeTo: appDockTile.contentView!.bounds, of: appDockTile.contentView!, preferredEdge: NSRectEdge.minY)

return false
    }

}

However, the NSPopover is not displayed and raizes always the following error message:

[NSPopover showRelativeToRect:ofView:preferredEdge:]: view has no window. You must supply a view in a window.

A popup can apparently only be displayed with reference to a view on a NSWindow. This would also be understandable if an NSPopover could not be displayed without problems at an NSStatusBarButton - and similar to a DockTile there is nothing to be seen of an NSWindow.

Does anyone have an idea or tip on how to display a popover to a DockTile or is that really not possible?