Targeting specific users for IAP purchases

Our product has an existing subscription offering that can be purchased from the web. Currently in our iOS app we do not allow users to purchase these subscriptions because we have not implemented IAP. If we were to offer subscriptions through IAP, could we selectively target which users see this option?

To give a bit more detail on the CX, imagine that you are a user of my app. Today, when you click the "subcribe now" button, we show you a generic page that explains the benefits of subscribing, but doesn't actually give you any way to do so. It's very similar to Netflix, where if you aren't already a subscriber you just hit a dead-end in the iOS app. After we implement IAP, I would like to either show the current dead-end, or an IAP subscription option. I will handle serving the appropriate message on our backend. So, user john@doe.com, who I don't want to subscribe through IAP, clicks "subscribe now" button and hits a dead end. User jane@doe.com hits the "subscribe now" button and I send her through the IAP subscription flow.

Does anyone have any insight into whether this would be allowed? Even better, any examples of other apps that do this?

Another way to ask this question might be: if you allow IAP subscriptions, do you have to allow it for everyone (assuming whatever the alternative option is doesn't violate 3.1.1)?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

The issue is described in the guidelines explicitly, and almost identically, depending on whether you are operating as a reader app or multiplatform app:

• 3.1.3(a) “Reader” Apps: Apps may allow a user to access previously purchased content or content subscriptions (specifically: magazines, newspapers, books, audio, music, video, access to professional databases, VoIP, cloud storage, and approved services such as classroom management apps), provided that you agree not to directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods are not designed to discourage use of in-app purchase.
  • 3.1.3(b) Multiplatform Services: Apps that operate across multiple platforms may allow users to access content, subscriptions, or features they have acquired elsewhere, including consumable items in multi-platform games, provided those items are also available as in-app purchases within the app. You must not directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods must not discourage use of in-app purchase.