El Capitan: USB to serial not recognized

Migrating from Yosemite to El Capitan I have this strange issue that my USB to serial cable is not properly installed.

Under System Information USB - USB serial controller is show with poduct ID and vendor ID, but if i try with terminal: LS /DEV not appear

/dev/ttyS0.

Thank you in advance for any kind of suggestions.

Replies

What build number of El Capitan are you running? You can run:

sw_vers -buildVersion

The release notes for builds less then 15A235d all cite USB irregularities, so it might just be a matter of updating to the latest build (Beta 5)

Build 15A226f

Beta 5 included a firmware update. Did it fix your issue?

just upgrade to 15A235d, but still no luck. I try to kextload a kext file manually, but an error message appear. Thanks for your help.

Did you already try an SMC reset?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Yes. Already done. No luck

/System/Library/Extensions/ProlificUsbSerial.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not loadable

You should try temporarily disabling SIP by booting into recovery mode (cmd+R):

Utilities > Security Configuration > uncheck "Enforce System Integrity Protection"

Disabled. Now whe i launch kextload i have authentication failure:

ProlificUsbSerial.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure

kextload is somewhat deprecated, try kextutil instead.

Also, if it were me, I'd try a clean install of 10.11.

Resolved with this:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/ProlificUsbSerial.kext/

sudo kextload /System/Library/ProlificUsbSerial.kext/

Well done. Permissions in that folder are only modifiable with SIP off. Now that it's fixed, you could probably turn SIP back on again.

Yes I think so. What can you tell me about SIP check? Which is it purpose?

From the "What's new in 10.11" document:

"System Integrity Protection

A new security policy that applies to every running process, including privileged code and code that runs out of the sandbox. The policy extends additional protections to components on disk and at run-time, only allowing system binaries to be modified by the system installer and software updates. Code injection and runtime attachments to system binaries are no longer permitted."

There's a fairly informative article on it here:

macworld.com/article/2948140/os-x/private-i-el-capitans-system-integrity-protection-will-shift-utilities-functions.html

Kexts must be signed and must live in /Library/Extensions on OS X El Capitan. /System is now off-limits to third parties by default.

From the errors it looks like neither condition has been met. I suggest contacting the kext developer to get a signed version and install it in the correct place.

--gc