Does identifierForVendor change after app transfer?

We are going to transfer application from one developer to another. Our application uses Vendor ID (identifierForVendor) to determine and authorize a device. Question is: what happen after transfer the application to other account? Will remain the Vendor ID same or will change?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of ebkarvt Down vote post of ebkarvt
3k views

Replies

I'd expect it to change.

From the docs:

"Discussion

The value of this property is the same for apps that come from the same vendor running on the same device. A different value is returned for apps on the same device that come from different vendors, and for apps on different devices regardless of vendor.

Normally, the vendor is determined by data provided by the App Store. If the app was not installed from the app store (such as enterprise apps and apps still in development), then a vendor identifier is calculated based on the app’s bundle ID. The bundle ID is assumed to be in reverse-DNS format."

I assume you wish it to change, in which case no action by you going forward.

If that is not the case, you can look at other options, such as using the keychain, but I suspect your goal does not allow for ignoring vendor ID?

Based on:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uidevice/1620059-identifierforvendor?language=objc

The identifierForVendor will depend on the identity of the developer if the app is distributed through the App Store. But if the app is distributed through the enterprise program then the identifierForVendor will depend on the first part of the bundle ID (which won't change on your transfer).

One thing you could do is upgrade the app to a new version before changing developer. The first thing that new version does is grab the identifierForVendor and stores it as an id in the users keychain. From then on it uses the keychain id rather than the identifierForVendor. The keychain only cares about the bundle ID of the app so it will transfer once you change developer.

Hello @ebkarvt,

I'm currently trying to find the same answer. What was the result after the app transfer? Was the identifierForVendor modified?

Thanks!

Hi @ebkarvt, @Jefferson_Silva_357459, @KMT , @PBK,

I wonder whether you found a solution for this one or not.

Thanks

Did it changed? Please let us know. Thanks a lot!

@Jefferson_Silva_357459 @PBK @KMT @ebkarvt

Thanks for your support