Xcode Hangs on Start

I need some help recovering XCODE 11. It was working fine for days. Today it asked me for permission to access some part of my Mac. I don't recall exactly what it asked permission to access. Ever since I clicked "Allow", XCODE stopped working entirely. Now when I try to start it, I don't even get to the screen that asks if you want to open a new project or not. I just get a beachball spinning. I uninstalled XCODE and reinstalled it. It still does not start. I am not sure what the guidelines for submitting crash logs are on this site. If I can get some guidance, that would be much appreciated. I would really like to start using this product.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eborgard Down vote post of eborgard
5.3k views

Replies

Did you try restarting your computer to see if Xcode behaves?

About crash logs, pls. don't post more than the first 20 or so lines without being asked, thanks.

Apologies for replying to an old thread, but I had exactly this same problem, and I hope this will help someone in the future.

It started when Xcode asked me for permission to access Network Volumes. After this, opening Xcode caused the perpetual beach ball, even after restarting my computer, after re-installing Xcode, and after trying to delete multiple combinations of files that I found recommended from the results of various internet searches.

Just like the original poster, I was able to launch Xcode via the console without the app hanging; however, launching it from the application itself resulted in the application hanging.

I noticed that in "System Preferences" -> "Security & Privacy" -> "Files and Folders" that Xcode had an entry underneath it called "Network Volumes". I tried unchecking this, which did not resolve the problem. However, after following the instructions at

apple.stackexchange.com/questions/339363/how-can-i-remove-applications-from-security-privacy/360610#360610

I ran the following in a terminal:
Code Block
tccutil reset SystemPolicyNetworkVolumes com.apple.dt.Xcode

which removed that entry entirely from the Security & Privacy window, and now Xcode does not hang after opening it.
This happened to me as well. I had accidentally checked ok to allowing Xcode to have access to couple of the secure/ private files on my computer. They specifically were the: Contacts, Calendars and Reminders. I followed Petrychyn's suggestion (thumbs up!) and found the same thing - just unchecking the access permissions box doesn't fix the issue. You do need to run the terminal command and include the app bundle id - in this case it's com.apple.dt.Xcode - and initially run it in sudo.
Code Block
sudo tccutil reset AddressBook com.apple.dt.Xcode
sudo tccutil reset Calendar com.apple.dt.Xcode
sudo tccutil reset Reminders com.apple.dt.Xcode

Just a note: Some of the category names are not the same as titled in the privacy table list. eg Contacts -> AddressBook.
Here is the list for reference:
  • Accessibility

• AddressBook

• AppleEvents (i.e. Automation)

• Calendar

• Camera

• Microphone

• Photos

• Reminders

• ScreenCapture (for the Screen Recording list)

• SystemPolicyAllFiles (for the Full Disk Access list)

• SystemPolicyDesktopFolder

• SystemPolicyDeveloperFiles

• SystemPolicyDocumentsFolder

• SystemPolicyDownloadsFolder

• SystemPolicyNetworkVolumes

• SystemPolicyRemovableVolumes

• SystemPolicySysAdminFiles

This happens to me frequently with Swift packages, in that case deleting the .swiftpm seems to work often.