403 Status code with subscription status URL

Hi all,

I have configured my server to receive Server-To-Server notifications but I when I look at the access logs of the server, I see that the server returns a 403 status code.

When I run the following diagnostic, ATS is passing.

/usr/bin/nscurl --ats-diagnostics myurl

Default ATS Secure Connection
---
ATS Default Connection
Result : PASS
---

When I call the subscription status URL manually, using CURL or Postman, the response is always 200.

Does anyone know why my server might be sending back a 403?

Here's what I'm seeing in the access logs:

17.58.10.21 - - [09/Nov/2019:10:22:20 +0000] "POST /wp-json/app/v2/appstore HTTP/1.1" 403 117 "-" "Apache-HttpClient/4.5.8 (Java/1.8.0_221)"

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jordy

Accepted Reply

After contacting our web hosting provider, it turned out that the User-Agent header used by Apple was being blocked by their security layer. The user agent Apple uses is: Apache-HttpClient/4.5.8 (Java/1.8.0_221). Technical support of out hosting party explained to me that this User-Agent is commonly used by mailicious bots.

They made an exception so that now all traffic is coming through as expected.

Replies

After contacting our web hosting provider, it turned out that the User-Agent header used by Apple was being blocked by their security layer. The user agent Apple uses is: Apache-HttpClient/4.5.8 (Java/1.8.0_221). Technical support of out hosting party explained to me that this User-Agent is commonly used by mailicious bots.

They made an exception so that now all traffic is coming through as expected.