How to extract one channel of an input stream

I have an audio interface which does multiple channels, of which I want to use just the first channel. This comes into my device at the hardware’s preferred sample rate.

What I would like to achieve is to downsample the incoming signal to my apps native format and to record the first channel. To do this, I have the engine.inputNode coming into an AVAudioMixer (called formatMixer) at the inputNode.outputFormat. I then connect this formatMixer to an AVAudioSinkNode to record the data.

I have two issues here. Looking at the what’s new in audioAPI video from July, Using a sinkNode I cannot specify the format. It will take the format of the formatMixer outputNode. So how do I specify this, as usually I would do this at the connection call?

My second question is: whilst doing the format conversion at the formatMixer stage, is there a way to map the channel output? I do not want to mix down as the documentation suggests, but instead make sure only the first channel of the mixers input bus is sent to the mixers output.

Replies

I have had a play with this, and have tried inserting a second intermediate AVAudioMixerNode. My thoery that when I connect the two mixers, I can select the format conversion then, and can then connect the output of the intermediateMixer to AVAudioSinkNode.

When I try thisI get peculiar results:

let outputFormat = engine.outputNode.outputFormat(forBus: 0)
let inputFormat = engine.inputNode.outputFormat(forBus: 0)
let requiredFormat = AVAudioFormat(commonFormat: .pcmFormatFloat32,
        sampleRate: Double(sampleRate),
        channels: 1,
        interleaved: false) 

let formatMixer = AVAudioMixerNode()
engine.attach(formatMixer)
let intermediateMixer = AVAudioMixerNode()
engine.attach(intermediateMixer)
engine.connect(input, to: formatMixer, format: inputFormat)
engine.connect(formatMixer, to: intermediateMixer, format: requiredFormat)
engine.attach(MicSinkNode)
engine.connect(intermediateMixer, to: MicSinkNode, format: nil)

If I print to console the various formats along the way, I get:

Output Format is <AVAudioFormat 0x600002143930: 4 ch, 48000 Hz, Float32, non-inter>

InputNode Format is <AVAudioFormat 0x60000211ae90: 4 ch, 48000 Hz, Float32, non-inter>

Required Format for input is: Optional(<AVAudioFormat 0x60000213ed00: 1 ch, 48000 Hz, Float32>)

FormatMixer Format is <AVAudioFormat 0x6000021496d0: 1 ch, 48000 Hz, Float32>

Intermediate Format is <AVAudioFormat 0x600002149770: 1 ch, 48000 Hz, Float32>

MicSinkNode Format is <AVAudioFormat 0x600002149810: 2 ch, 44100 Hz, Float32, non-inter>

Where does MicSinkNode get this format from? If I compare my original signal to the result from MicSinkNode, the result is the same length with no glitches. Despite being a different sampleRate at. this stage.

What is interesting is that if I change the line to:

engine.connect(intermediateMixer, to: MicSinkNode, format: requiredFormat) so that all of the formats match and the MicSinkNode Format is the same as requiredFormat, comparing the WAVs, the output of MicSinkNode is shorter than the original signal (as if a 44.1k has been read directly into a 48k stream). And the regular clock slip glitches are apparent in the audio.

So how do I correctly get a input signal int a single 48k buffer that I can read into an array?