21 Replies
      Latest reply on Nov 16, 2019 7:57 PM by MakTechServe
      MakTechServe Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a working code with more than 20 view controllers. Where I used UIPickerView as input view to UITextField which is populated on a network call. The application was tested locally using .ipa file as well as directly installing through Xcode for couple of iterations. Everything was working fine so far.

But all of a sudden started seeing a weird behavior, Keyboard is showing when I tap on the text field instead of Picker selection.

This issue is happening only for few view controllers where it was working fine earlier.  Similar implementation is still working fine for most of the view controllers.

I tried almost all the possibilities including redesigning the page and is working fine on simulator/iPhone when I directly install/run through Xcode.

But when I create an IPA file, still seeing the same issue (i.e. not seeing the picker selection)

I am using Xcode 10.3.

While debugging noticed control is not going to textFieldDidBeginEditing() at all in failed scenarios.

I am completely stuck. Not sure why all of a sudden the working code is broken.

Any direction to fix the issue is much appreciated.

• Re: UIPickerview as inputview to UITextfield shows weird behavior - shows Keyboard instead of picker selection for working code
          Claude31 Level 8 Level 8 (6,905 points)

Which iOS version ?

In case, I would try an option clean build folder. There may be some inconsistencies in the project build.

While debugging noticed control is not going to textFieldDidBeginEditing() at all in failed scenarios.

Do you mean textFieldDidBeginEditing is no more called ?

I am completely stuck. Not sure why all of a sudden the working code is broken.

Have you changed somthing in code ? If you revert to an older backup, do you see the problem ?

There have been recently a lot of problems with UITextView, but that is with XCode 11 ; didn't read problem in 10.3.

• Re: UIPickerview as inputview to UITextfield shows weird behavior - shows Keyboard instead of picker selection for working code

Thanks Claude for looking into it. updated my answers

Product-> Clean Build Folder didn't help me so far.

Which iOS version?

IOS version : 12.4.2  iPhone 6

Everything works fine if I install directly on phone/simulator. If I use ipa install, keyboard opens  instead of pickerview for few view controllers.

IOS version :  13.1.3  iPhone 8 Plus

If I use ipa install, keyboard opens  instead of pickerview for few view controllers.

Do you mean textFieldDidBeginEditing is no more called ?

Yes. textFieldDidBeginEditing is not called for the affected view controllers.

Have you changed something in code ? If you revert to an older backup, do you see the problem?

Re-designed completely for that view controller. Still no luck with ipa install.

Also tried with an old backup(taken on Oct23rd) where ipa  install works fine with that.

Also tried with an old backup(taken on Oct23rd) where ipa  install works fine with that.

Do you use git ?

If so, you could track all the differences between the 2.

Otherwise, need to do it manually…

Good luck.

Is there any specific file I need to compare related to build settings.

I compared a  scene where there is no change but works differently with ipa installation vs direct installation.

The difference could be in the info.list or in the app Targets set up ?

Have a look here, to check how you generate ipa:

h ttps://needone.app/export-ipa-file-from-xcode-and-install-on-your-mobile/

Did you select none for app thinning ?

Could you show the code where you call picker on tap and get keyboard instead.

If possible, could you detail the textField attributes (Text input traits)

The difference could be in the info.list -->

<key>UIStatusBarHidden</key>

<true/> is the only difference I could see

Did you select none for app thinning ?

Yes. None is selected always

Code Snippet

@IBOutlet weak var selectAccountTB: DesignableTextField!

where DesignableTextField extends UITextField

var accountPickerView = UIPickerView()

I have 3 picker views. Listed only 1 here

func textFieldDidBeginEditing(_ textField: UITextField) {
                                    activeTextField = textField
                                        self.selectedItem = ""
                                        if (activeTextField  == selectAccountTB ) {
                                    let toolBar = UIToolbar.init().addToolBarHandler(selectorDone: #selector(pickerDoneTapped), selectorCancel: #selector(pickerCancelTapped))
                                    self.activeTextField.isUserInteractionEnabled = true
                                    self.activeTextField.inputAccessoryView = toolBar
                                    if (self.activeTextField == self.selectAccountTB ) {
                                    self.activeTextField.inputView = self.accountPickerView
                                    }
                                    }

}
                                  extension QTPViewController : UIPickerViewDelegate , UIPickerViewDataSource {

func numberOfComponents(in pickerView: UIPickerView) -> Int {        return 1    }

func pickerView(_ pickerView: UIPickerView, numberOfRowsInComponent component: Int) -> Int {
                                    var count = 1
                                    if self.activeTextField == self.selectAccountTB {
                                    count = self.accountList.count
                                    } else if self.activeTextField == self.selectPayeeBankTB {
                                    count = self.payeeBankValueList.count
                                    }
                                    return count
                                    }

func pickerView(_ pickerView: UIPickerView, titleForRow row: Int, forComponent component: Int) -> String? {
                                    var rowValue:String!
                                    if self.activeTextField == self.selectAccountTB
                                    {
                                    rowValue = self.accountList[row]
                                    rowValue = self.payeeBankValueList[row]
                                    }
                                    return rowValue
                                    }
                                    func pickerView(_ pickerView: UIPickerView, didSelectRow row: Int, inComponent component: Int){
                                    if (!accountList.isEmpty) {
                                    self.selectedItem = self.accountList[row]
                                    print("Selected Item " , self.accountList[row])
                                    }
                                    }
                                    }

}

I assume that bchanging UIStatusBarHidden to false does not change anytrhing ?

I am probably missing something in your code. I need to understand before continuing investigation.

self.selectedItem = ""
                                              if (activeTextField  == selectAccountTB ) {
                                                  let toolBar = UIToolbar.init().addToolBarHandler(selectorDone: #selector(pickerDoneTapped), selectorCancel: #selector(pickerCancelTapped))
                                                  }
                                              }

}

I do not find addToolBarHandler anywhere.

Is it a func of your own ?

Why do you repeat the test line 8. Seem to be the same than line 4. Isn't it ?

Thanks for making it clear.

do not find addToolBarHandler anywhere.

Is it a func of your own ?

Yes. Used across my application for picker view

extension UIToolbar{

func addToolBarHandler(selectorDone : Selector , selectorCancel : Selector) -> UIToolbar{
                                                  let toolBar = UIToolbar()
                                                  toolBar.barStyle = UIBarStyle.default
                                                  toolBar.isTranslucent = true
                                                  let doneButton = UIBarButtonItem(title: "Done", style: UIBarButtonItem.Style.done, target: self, action: selectorDone)
                                                  let cancelButton = UIBarButtonItem(title: "Cancel", style: UIBarButtonItem.Style.plain, target: self, action: selectorCancel)
                                                  let spaceButton = UIBarButtonItem(barButtonSystemItem: UIBarButtonItem.SystemItem.flexibleSpace, target: nil, action: nil)
                                                  toolBar.setItems([cancelButton, spaceButton, doneButton], animated: false)
                                                  toolBar.isUserInteractionEnabled = true
                                                  toolBar.sizeToFit()
                                                  return toolBar

}
                                          }

Why do you repeat the test line 8. Seem to be the same than line 4. Isn't it ?

As I mentioned, I have other Pickerviews to check in those lines

self.selectedItem = ""
                                                  if (activeTextField  == selectAccountTB ||
                                                      activeTextField  == selectPayeeXXXTB  ||
                                                      activeTextField  == selectXXXAccountTB)
                                                  {
                                                      }
                                                      else if(self.activeTextField == self.selectPayeeXXXTB ) {
                                                          self.activeTextField.inputView = self.selectPayeeXXXPickerView
                                                      }
                                                      else if(self.activeTextField == self.selectXXXAccountTB ) {
                                                          self.activeTextField.inputView = self.XXXAccountPickerView
                                                      }
                                                  }
                                              }

I also have question on extension

extension QTPViewController : UIPickerViewDelegate , UIPickerViewDataSource {

func numberOfComponents(in pickerView: UIPickerView) -> Int {        return 1    }

func pickerView(_ pickerView: UIPickerView, numberOfRowsInComponent component: Int) -> Int {
                                                  var count = 1
                                                      count = self.accountList.count
                                                      count = self.payeeBankValueList.count
                                                  }
                                                  return count
                                              }

func pickerView(_ pickerView: UIPickerView, titleForRow row: Int, forComponent component: Int) -> String? {
                                                  var rowValue:String!
                                                  if self.activeTextField == self.selectAccountTB
                                                  {
                                                      rowValue = self.accountList[row]
                                                      rowValue = self.payeeBankValueList[row]
                                                  }
                                                  return rowValue
                                              }
                                              func pickerView(_ pickerView: UIPickerView, didSelectRow row: Int, inComponent component: Int){
                                                      if (!accountList.isEmpty) {
                                                          print("Selected Item " , self.accountList[row])
                                                      }
                                                  }
                                              }

}

Line 16: you define rowValue as String!.

What happens if test line 17 and test line 20 fail ?

You should probably define rowValue as String?