Is it possible use old versions of Xcode anymore?

Hello,

I need to rebuild an app targeting the macOS 10.7 SDK. To do this I thought I'd install 10.8.5 into a VM and then install Xcode 5.x. Sounded simple and easy to setup to me.

When I open Xcode 5 (in the VM) it demands to "Install additional required components.". This process fails with:

An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made.

The site it is attempting to connect to is: devimages.apple.com.edgekey.net

I've done a little digging and found that (1) the certificate isn't trusted on the local end of the connection and (2, I think) the server seems to insist on a version of TLS that isn't supported on the client side. The certificate issue is fixable but the TLS version seems like a deal breaker to me.

So does anyone know how I could convince Xcode not to "install additional requirted components"?

Are these components installable via an external package?

Does anyone know how to use the 10.7 SDK on newer versions of Xcode. I'm not even sure when it stopped being supported.

Any guidence would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

It is unlikely that you would need to target 10.7. Rather, you would need to set 10.7 as the deployment version. Just make sure that you don't use anything that was introduced after 10.7. I can verify that you can still setup a full development environment in a 10.9 VM with Xcode 6.2.

Thanks, part of the project is a garbage collected preference panel (eek!) so I need a version of the compiler which supports that.

I'll have a look at Xcode 6.2 though and see what I can do with that.

Cheers.

It looks like it was deprecated in 10.8 but should still be available in 10.9