Two 7.8GB 'updates' 11.1 then 11.2 in cascade?

These comments are directed toward the Apple [Xcode?] Software 'release' team.

I have been in the software business since Moses (I started programming on an SDS Xerox Signa 7) and wrote millions of assembler and C/C++ porting Unix to new chipsets, porting BIOS to a food dozen of platforms up to i7 Sandy B. I have used UUCP and first SCCS and see millions of upgrades in my life. None was 7.8GB !!!

Developers live in Ivory towers with lots of resources, GB/s speeds, infinite bandwith and terrabyte SSDs. We don't!

Last month we had an 8.2GB Macos update and a 7.8GB XCode 11.1 'update'.

Instead of downloading the new XCode from the dev site, I went to MacStore and my download took around 8 hours (not counting the two cancelaltions after 100MB when I thought something was wrong with my computer).

Add to that the 2GB IOS updates to five IOS devices (2 phones and 3 pads for all members of family) and voilà the 60GB limit is gone, just in upgrades. And I didn't count Unity, app upgrades, Xcode simulators who take forever, the bandwidth to upload to store apps who keep growing at each Xcode release. My 60GB monthly limit is gone.

And the new Xcode 11.2 "Update" is also 7.8GB? I already have 11.1

Did someone press the wrong button?

Replies

You were perhaps expecting delta updates for Xcode? Not going to happen, because IDE.

Well, I remember my first Mac development was on a 512K or 1 MB machine… which seemed large at a time when DOS could not go beyond 640K

Those figures have multiplied by 10 000 or more.

Same for bandwidth. The pattern is that our ISP contract (not on mobile) is not limited in download, and has speed of or beyond 100 Mbps.

To download in about 10 minutes.

One may think that we waste a lot of resources…