Notarization error 239 is back with a vengeance?

I'm not sure how the status page shows notarization as green.

I am testing a new project, notarization used to take 2-3 minutes, it took 37 minutes last night, because of error 239.

Obviously I have a valid UUID, it was returned by Apple.

Before error 239 happened intermittedly for a few minutes after submission, figured it was a concurrency issue on Apple's side as it always was found after a few minutes, and because of that we don't error out our build pipeline on that error.

Now I've been staring at the same notarization for over an hour, throwing error 239 and I don't know if I should truly treat is an error now or continues polling or if the system indeed lost the UUID somehow.

It's extremely inconvenient, at least some notification on the status dash seems justified.

Replies

I'm getting the same issue.

As near as I can tell, `xcrun altool --notarize-app` is silently failing. It returns a request UUID but checking its status results in error 239 and using `xcrun altool --notarization-history` does not list the UUID at all. So basically the notary service is totally broken.

My company has an automated build system and we can no longer ship our software to any of our mac users.

So what are the ostensible benefits of requiring us to notarizing our software again? Are there any? And is it really worth all this? 🙄😣

Forgive my agitation but I'm supposed to be on vacation and I shouldn't have to be putting out fires like this!

Same here, I am working on a buildscript and I can't tell if 239 should be treated after an error as yesterday's build suddenly did appear after 37 minutes.

Today I am less lucky, 3 hours of error 239, then it finally got picked up, then 2 hours of notarization.

Unfortunately, I don’t have much to say about this beyond what I wrote on this thread.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

The suggestion to "retry after a reasonable delay" is a bit tricky though. The same UUID got picked up after 3 hours. The error indicates that Apple lost track of the package, whereas it clearly didn't, when does one decide this is indeed true, and it's not some glitch in the matrix?

Sure, one could cut the process and resubmit, but if that becomes common practice it'd seem to me the server pressure will only get worse.

I've been getting this again recently, last night two builds failed because of Error code 239 when using altool to check notarization-info. It seems to fail more at night than during the day?