Can I offer a free 30 day trial for an app using a 16 digit activation code?

1. Can I offer a free 30 day trial for our (coupon) app using a 16 digit code that comes with our coupon books which are sold thru fundraising groups, like schools, etc.
2. If yes to question 1., then can I also offer those users, who used the code after the 30 day trail ends, a subscription that expires on a certain day (12/31/20) for one time payment of x amount.
The app is active now for free but it can't be activated without a 16 digit code found in our coupon book. I'm trying to get an update approved that will have the in-app purchase functionality. The app update has an auto - renewal option for .99 a month for anyone without a code but with the code they get the free 30 day trial then the one time payment option of $4.99. When we sent the app for review, it was rejected (see below).

Upon further review, we noticed the following issue:

Guideline 3.1.1 - Business - Payments - In-App Purchase

Your app unlocks or enables additional functionality with mechanisms such as promo codes, data transfer codes, license keys, augmented reality markers, or QR codes, which is not appropriate for the App Store.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please remove this feature from your app.

BUT, they sent a few screenshots of our app, one of which was not updated and I think it may be the one they're referring to. It read:
Enter the 16 digit code found on the front cover of your coupon book to activate the coupon offers. Don't have a coupon book? No worries! Contact us at ***-***-xxxx or (website link) to find a fundraising group selling the coupon books near you or order online at (website)
This was from when the app was free with the code. Now it's only free for 30 days, so we need to re-word it If I re-word it to instead say: Enter the 16 digit code on your coupon book to activate your free 30 day trial. And just leave it at that. Would that work?

Replies

>The app is active now for free but it can't be activated without a 16 digit code found in our coupon book. I'm trying to get an update approved that will have the in-app purchase functionality

Did you appeal with that explanation?

1) ASRG's 3.1.1 (may not) and review have already answered the coupon/code 'can I?' question. Is there something that isn't clear about the ASRGs and the rejection? Did you ask review for clarification?

>Would that work?

There are no pre-reviews and app review isn't here. No one here can speak for what review will/won't accept/reject.

You seem to be mid-stream in an ongoing process that needs you to work thru while continuing your communication w/review, so not sure what we can do for you here. Review said to -remove- that feature, not optionally modify it. Remove the code and then add IAP, if that's something you want, but again, remove the code/coupon.

My opinion is that (a) until you and review are on the same page with the same version of the same app, you're not going anywhere - and (b), that said, this statement from review seems pretty clear "To resolve this issue, please remove this feature from your app." 3.1.1 doesn't care what you do after employing an unlock code, only that you don't use one at all.

About coupons BTW...from the ASRGs:

3.2.1 Acceptable

(iv) Wallet passes can be used to make or receive payments, transmit offers, or offer identification (such as movie tickets, coupons, and VIP credentials).

You are not allowed to use any mechanism other than StoreKit / IAP to unlock content. The problem is that you could sell those codes yourself, and Apple would get no commission (and would be unable to review the content that is unlocked). I believe your business model is incompatible with the App Store.

Other apps I've seen sometimes get around this by using an account based login, and requiring the user to enter any codes only on a web site. There must be no mention of unlocking things via codes in the app. I don't know if this approach is guaranteed to pass review either though.

Of course this is just my opinion / interpretation. App Review always has the final say.

Since you are looking for opinions, my opinion follows junkpile.....

What you are proposing is a clear violation of the 3.1.1 guideline:

"Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality....... Apps and their metadata may not include ...... other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms other than in-app purchase."

In fact your directions: "Don't have a coupon book? No worries! Contact us at ***-***-xxxx or (website link) to find a fundraising group selling the coupon books near you or order online at (website)" seems to be just such a "call to action".

You can offer a free trial to autorenewable subscriptions IAPs to all your users.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/in-app_purchase/implementing_introductory_offers_in_your_app?language=objc

And you can offer a free non-consumable IAP "XX-day Trial" to all your users that is discussed in WWDC 2018 Session 704 and here:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/104474

You can also use promo codes but their number is limited.

I appreciate the feedback.

You said: In fact your directions: "Don't have a coupon book? No worries! Contact us at ***-***-xxxx or (website link) to find a fundraising group selling the coupon books near you or order online at (website)" seems to be just such a "call to action".

If you'll notice in that I said (in my first post), that that wording was not updated and maybe the reason why it was rejected, which is why I asked if it might get approved if I change it to just say: Please enter your 16 digit code to activate your free 30 day trial.
I'm really not sure why I would even have to remove it since the wording is for the purchasing the coupon book, not the app. The app must be purchased thru in-app purchases.
There are several other coupon book companies already doing what I'm trying to do. Entertainment coupons, being the most well known, has in their app store description this wording:

Download the app today and Go Mobile and Save® with Entertainment®!

*NOTE: The Entertainment® Coupons Membership App is free to download, but due to high-valued, member-only deals and discounts, you must have an Entertainment® Membership to redeem offers. You can easily buy an Entertainment® Membership by visiting https://shop.entertainment.com and purchasing an Entertainment® Coupon Book or Go Digital with the Entertainment® Digital Membership. Not all coupons are available for mobile redemption. See site for details.

They have a link where you can purchase their coupon books and actually purchase the app membership on their website! How are they able to do that?

Junkpile, you said: You are not allowed to use any mechanism other than StoreKit / IAP to unlock content.
There are several other coupon book companies already doing that. They're selling the membership codes for the app on their website and even have a link to their website in the app store description. See below.

*NOTE: The Entertainment® Coupons Membership App is free to download, but due to high-valued, member-only deals and discounts, you must have an Entertainment® Membership to redeem offers. You can easily buy an Entertainment® Membership by visiting https://shop.entertainment.com and purchasing an Entertainment® Coupon Book or Go Digital with the Entertainment® Digital Membership. Not all coupons are available for mobile redemption. See site for details.
Here is the link to purchase the digital membership on their website.
https://shop.entertainment.com/cart
How are they able to do this and why can't I do that?

1) Please enter your 16 digit code to activate your free 30 day trial.

You are still using your own mechanism to unlock code in your app - albeit you no longer explicitly describe the call to action.

2) the wording is for the purchasing the coupon book,

Again, you are using your own method - you are even selling the unlock code through a purchase of a coupon book, not giving it away for free.

3) There are several other coupon book companies already doing what I'm trying to do.

Are they unlocking content or functionality in their app or are they selling things that are consumaed outside the app? If the former, you are welcome to report them to Apple so that they can be removed from the App Store for violating 3.1.1; sometimes the App Store misses things. If the former, that's not a violation of 3.1.1.