Can I get a Publisher from a Binding?

I want to update a regular Boolean on a UIKit element based on the changes made to a Binding that is passed into that UIKit element from SwiftUI. Can I get a Publisher from a Binding or somehow hook into the `didSet` of the Binding's Wrapped value so I can update an associated Boolean whenever the wrapped value is changed?

If I want the UIKit object to update SwiftUI, that way works by passing in a Binding and updating the Binding in the UIKit element, but if you want a Binding or State variable from SwiftUI to update your UIKit element, I can't find the way to do that...

Example:

A binding to a Boolean `isFirstResponder`. When that boolean is updated by a Toggle, I want to call `becomeFirstResponder()` or `resignFirstResponder()` on a UITextField based on what the boolean is.

SwiftUI somehow is able to tap into the changes of the wrapped value and update the UI referencing the wrapped value, so I feel like it should be possible... but I haven't been able to accomplish this behavior as of yet.

Accepted Reply

I figured out the way to do this. Instead of trying to hook into the Binding to get updates for it, the `updateUIView` method on the `UIViewRepresentable` protocol is how you hook into updates of Bindings. Whenever a Binding changes or the SwiftUI view re-renders itself, that method gets called. So you update your UIKit code in that method, and you update SwiftUI from UIKit updates (delegate methods or action handlers) in the Coordinator.

Here's what I ended up with.

```

import SwiftUI

struct CustomTextFieldView: View {

@State var str = "text"

@State var isFirstResponder = false

var body: some View {

VStack {

AdvancedTextField(isFirstResponder: $isFirstResponder, text: $str)

TextField("placeholder2", text: $str)

Toggle(isOn: $isFirstResponder) {

Text("First Responder")

}

Spacer(minLength: 500)

}

}

}

struct CustomTextField_Previews: PreviewProvider {

static var previews: some View {

CustomTextFieldView()

}

}

struct AdvancedTextField: UIViewRepresentable {

@Binding var isFirstResponder: Bool

@Binding var text: String

init(isFirstResponder: Binding<Bool>, text: Binding<String>) {

_isFirstResponder = isFirstResponder

_text = text

}

func makeCoordinator() -> AdvancedTextField.Coordinator {

let coordinator = Coordinator(isFirstResponder: $isFirstResponder, text: $text)

return coordinator

}

func makeUIView(context: UIViewRepresentableContext<AdvancedTextField>) -> UITextField {

let textField = UITextField(frame: .zero)

textField.text = text

textField.delegate = context.coordinator

textField.addTarget(context.coordinator, action: #selector(context.coordinator.textChanged(_:)), for: .editingChanged)

return textField

}

// MARK: - SwiftUI -> UIKit

/// This method is called whenever a the SwiftUI view is re-rendered and/or the bindings on this View are updated.

/// The intention is to update your UIKit object based on SwiftUI changes. i.e. `SwiftUI -> UIKit`.

/// - WARNING: Be sure to not update any `Binding` during the execution of this method (whether directly or indirectly,

/// like via a delegate method being executed in the `Coordinator`). If you do this, you will get the warning:

/// `Modifying state during view update, this will cause undefined behavior.` and you may can an infinite loop.

/// See `Coordinator.listenToChanges` flag for my approach to avoid this problem.

func updateUIView(_ uiView: UITextField, context: UIViewRepresentableContext<AdvancedTextField>) {

// update UIKit based on Bindings from SwiftUI. i.e. _one of your bindings have changed_

context.coordinator.listenToChanges = false

if isFirstResponder != uiView.isFirstResponder {

if isFirstResponder {

uiView.becomeFirstResponder() // this calls the delegate methods, which update the binding, which calls this method... infinitum. Hence the `listenToChanges` variable.

} else {

uiView.resignFirstResponder() // this calls the delegate methods, which update the binding, which calls this method... infinitum. Hence the `listenToChanges` variable.

}

}

uiView.text = text

context.coordinator.listenToChanges = true

}

// MARK: - UIKit -> SwiftUI

/// The `Coordinator` class is meant to be the delegate and action handler of the UIKit objects.

/// Your `UIViewRepresentable` object will not handle delegate methods and actions of UIKit objects (they just won't get called).

/// The `Coordinator` is meant to update SwiftUI (via updating `Binding`s) based on UIKit changes. i.e. `UIKit -> SwiftUI`

/// - WARNING: When updating a SwiftUI's `Binding`s, make sure you are not updating it from changes made in the `updateUIView` method

/// or else you will get a warning and can get into an infinite loop.

/// i.e. Binding updated -> updateUIView -> delegate method on `Coordinator` updates Binding -> updateUIView -> delegate method... etc

class Coordinator: NSObject, UITextFieldDelegate {

fileprivate var listenToChanges: Bool = false // A Boolean to make sure we don't update Bindings when SwiftUI is updating UIKit (i.e. during the `updateUIView` execution)

_text = text

}

func textFieldDidBeginEditing(_ textField: UITextField) {

// UIKit Changed. Update SwiftUI bindings only if this method was called because of a UIKit change

// and *not* a SwiftUI change (i.e. `updateUIView`).

guard listenToChanges else { return }

isFirstResponder = textField.isFirstResponder

}

func textFieldDidEndEditing(_ textField: UITextField) {

// UIKit Changed. Update SwiftUI bindings only if this method was called because of a UIKit change

}

@objc func textChanged(_ textField: UITextField) {

text = textField.text ?? ""

}

}

}

```

Replies

I figured out the way to do this. Instead of trying to hook into the Binding to get updates for it, the `updateUIView` method on the `UIViewRepresentable` protocol is how you hook into updates of Bindings. Whenever a Binding changes or the SwiftUI view re-renders itself, that method gets called. So you update your UIKit code in that method, and you update SwiftUI from UIKit updates (delegate methods or action handlers) in the Coordinator.

Here's what I ended up with.

```

import SwiftUI

struct CustomTextFieldView: View {

@State var str = "text"

@State var isFirstResponder = false

var body: some View {

VStack {

AdvancedTextField(isFirstResponder: $isFirstResponder, text: $str)

TextField("placeholder2", text: $str)

Toggle(isOn: $isFirstResponder) {

Text("First Responder")

}

Spacer(minLength: 500)

}

}

}

struct CustomTextField_Previews: PreviewProvider {

static var previews: some View {

CustomTextFieldView()

}

}

struct AdvancedTextField: UIViewRepresentable {

_text = text

}

func makeCoordinator() -> AdvancedTextField.Coordinator {

let coordinator = Coordinator(isFirstResponder: $isFirstResponder, text: $text)

return coordinator

}

func makeUIView(context: UIViewRepresentableContext<AdvancedTextField>) -> UITextField {

let textField = UITextField(frame: .zero)

textField.text = text

textField.delegate = context.coordinator

textField.addTarget(context.coordinator, action: #selector(context.coordinator.textChanged(_:)), for: .editingChanged)

return textField

}

// MARK: - SwiftUI -> UIKit

/// This method is called whenever a the SwiftUI view is re-rendered and/or the bindings on this View are updated.

/// The intention is to update your UIKit object based on SwiftUI changes. i.e. `SwiftUI -> UIKit`.

/// - WARNING: Be sure to not update any `Binding` during the execution of this method (whether directly or indirectly,

/// like via a delegate method being executed in the `Coordinator`). If you do this, you will get the warning:

/// `Modifying state during view update, this will cause undefined behavior.` and you may can an infinite loop.

/// See `Coordinator.listenToChanges` flag for my approach to avoid this problem.

func updateUIView(_ uiView: UITextField, context: UIViewRepresentableContext<AdvancedTextField>) {

// update UIKit based on Bindings from SwiftUI. i.e. _one of your bindings have changed_

context.coordinator.listenToChanges = false

if isFirstResponder != uiView.isFirstResponder {

if isFirstResponder {

uiView.becomeFirstResponder() // this calls the delegate methods, which update the binding, which calls this method... infinitum. Hence the `listenToChanges` variable.

} else {

uiView.resignFirstResponder() // this calls the delegate methods, which update the binding, which calls this method... infinitum. Hence the `listenToChanges` variable.

}

}

uiView.text = text

context.coordinator.listenToChanges = true

}

// MARK: - UIKit -> SwiftUI

/// The `Coordinator` class is meant to be the delegate and action handler of the UIKit objects.

/// Your `UIViewRepresentable` object will not handle delegate methods and actions of UIKit objects (they just won't get called).

/// The `Coordinator` is meant to update SwiftUI (via updating `Binding`s) based on UIKit changes. i.e. `UIKit -> SwiftUI`

/// - WARNING: When updating a SwiftUI's `Binding`s, make sure you are not updating it from changes made in the `updateUIView` method

/// or else you will get a warning and can get into an infinite loop.

/// i.e. Binding updated -> updateUIView -> delegate method on `Coordinator` updates Binding -> updateUIView -> delegate method... etc

class Coordinator: NSObject, UITextFieldDelegate {

fileprivate var listenToChanges: Bool = false // A Boolean to make sure we don't update Bindings when SwiftUI is updating UIKit (i.e. during the `updateUIView` execution)

_text = text

}

func textFieldDidBeginEditing(_ textField: UITextField) {

}

func textFieldDidEndEditing(_ textField: UITextField) {

}

@objc func textChanged(_ textField: UITextField) {

text = textField.text ?? ""

}

}

}

```