How to quote on the forum

I accidentally inserted some text in a post and saw the quote/unquote popup appear.

But I cannot find how to make a selection as a quote.

Accepted Reply

I click on the <HTML> button and then insert this template:

<blockquote class="jive-quote">
  <p>user wrote:</p>
  <p></p>
  <p>quote</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Reply</p>

Then replace "user" with the person you are replying to, replace "quote" with the text you want to quote, and replace "Reply" with your reply.

I think it leaves you with one extra line between the citation and the quote. You can delete it if you are careful. But if you delete too much, then it will get scrambled when you post.

Replies

I’ve never found a way to get the DevForums editor to quote and unquote. I achieve this by not using the editor.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I click on the <HTML> button and then insert this template:

<blockquote class="jive-quote">
  <p>user wrote:</p>
  <p></p>
  <p>quote</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Reply</p>

Then replace "user" with the person you are replying to, replace "quote" with the text you want to quote, and replace "Reply" with your reply.

I think it leaves you with one extra line between the citation and the quote. You can delete it if you are careful. But if you delete too much, then it will get scrambled when you post.

Thanks.

That's what surprised my, when I copied some text (think it was a code extract from SO), it was quoted and I saw a popup appear when hovering over it proposing to unquote…

Thanks so much, I'll try it.

That's funny, from the champions of WYSIWYG…

Remember, the forums package comes from JIVE Software, where the target platforms are usually Linux or Windows. Apple is just a user here, same as us, but with slightly higher permissions - Apple didn't build it, they just pay for it.

We're lucky this stuf even tries to work on mobile, much less with Safari on macOS. I think what you saw is an artifact that flashes as Safari attempts to render what it's being fed from the backend.

If you want to waste the time just for fun, use Safari's dev menu and the various user agents to see how things react here...

As for quotes, I DIY via copy/paste-and-match style, after I've started the first line of my reply, not before, adding visual clues as needed. I tend to avoid the editor whenever possible. John's HTML is something I've tried, but it seems like yet another hoop to jump thru, so...

That said, anyone that bothers to do a proper quote here is my hero.