Xcode xip "The archive does not come from Apple"

Hi all,

I'm trying to install an older version of Xcode, but when I try to open the .xip file I get the following error: 'The archive "Xcode_9.1.xip" does not come from Apple'. What's causing this error and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Reply

The certificate used to sign the files probably expired. As a workaround, I managed to uncompress the xip file by setting my system date to back to september.

Replies

Did you try another archive, as 9.2 ?

What is your OS ? 10.15 ?

If so, security checks have been reinforced and maybe this ild package is not compliant.

If not succesful with 9.2, contact Apple support.

Thank you for your response.

I've tried multiple archives: 8.1, 9.1, 9.2, 9.4.1; which all give the same error. Only when I tried 10.2, it worked.

I'm currently on 10.15, but I also tried on another mac running 10.14 and it gave the same error.

I'll try to contact Apple support and see if they can help.

I've been trying to install version 8 and 8.3.3 and got the same error as you said. One of the things that I discovered is that both versions and 9.4.1 have the signature expired. But the version 10.2 that you've installed with success has a non-expired signature. I think that might be the problem

They should have to resign their archive.

Not sure they will accept to do it, but you may try.

Anycase, file a bug report.

What you could try, if you have a Mac with OSX 10.14 (Mojave) is to download on it.

The certificate used to sign the files probably expired. As a workaround, I managed to uncompress the xip file by setting my system date to back to september.

Thanks! this worked.

Have the same problem. Trying to install xcode 8.x and can’t - “ The archive does not come from Apple” Will try to use workaround with changing system date. Should I change the date to September 2019?

I'm not sure if it is really necessary to go all the way back to September, it depends on the certificate expiration date. I just tried "let's see what happens if I turn the clock back one month", and it worked.

It helped me! Thank you so much!

I changed system date to 1st september 2019 and unarchived xip xcode archive successfully.

Thanks again, I would never imagine this way to solve this trouble. How did you come to this solution? Did you have similar troubles before that you could solve by changing system date?

I’ve seen the same issue and the certificate seems to be expired from October 24, 2019. As an workaround we can change the date on the system, thought..

I’ve opened a ticket, hopefully I will get an answer soon and they will re-upload the appropriate xip files.

This works

Thanks,this works.

This has also affected us and we thought perhaps it was due to the fact that we host the .xip files somehwere and then attempt to install them. But even when attempting to install from Apple directly using xcversion install <VERSION> the same issue `xip: error: The archive “Xcode_11_GM_Seed_2.xip” does not come from Apple.` And I tested this with Xcode 11, 11.1, and 10.3. I believe it may be affecting all Xcode versions since they're likely all installed with the same certificate.
I changed the date back ot Oct 23rd and that worked for installation, another issue we found was the dreaded "Install Additional Components" which is ALSO affected by the certificate issue! Setting the date back allowed us to successfully install the additional components. But this is quite awful and just shows how flawed the certificate expiration is.
Hopefully Apple fixes this soon!

This is soooo messed up - Catalina has been a nightmare for me to deal with - It's like Windows Vista was, if anyone remembers that. Suggest Apple releases iOS14 and 10.16 as maintenance releases - absolute nightmare for those of us who rely on Apple products for productivity.

Man... considering the hacked versions of Xcode that we know exist... I wouldn't be willing to take that chance.