set AppleScript's text item delimiters to " "
        repeat with theCurrentValue in text items of theListOfValues
          if theCurrentValue is "oranges" then
               log "Found it"
          end if
        end repeat
        log "End"
        set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""

I can't get the "if" test to find "oranges".  It always resolves to false and so "Found it" is never logged.

What basic log am I missing here ?  Why is the theCurrentValue "oranges" never equal to "oranges" ?

This is driving me barmy at present.  I've scoured the Applescript language guide and Googled for hours but still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

• Re: AppleScript - can't get "If" statement to work
          red_menace Level 2 Level 2 (95 points)

When using the repeat with X in Y form, your comparison is to a reference, e.g. item 2 of someList.  AppleScript doesn't automatically dereference the loop item, so unless a dereference needs to be done for some other part of the script or statement, you need to do it, for example:

if theCurrentValue as text is "oranges" then ...
                  -- or --
              if contents of theCurrentValue is "oranges" then ...
            • Re: AppleScript - can't get "If" statement to work
              Crudgle Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Many thanks.  This is starting to make sense.  But, I've not found documentation which makes this clear.  I've Googled quite a lot and read relevant parts of the langauge guide (2013).  Page 258 of the language guide does state that the X variable is a "reference to an item in a list" which doesn't sit precisely with the contents of the X variable being the same as the relevant item in the Y list variable.  I've thought that a variable has metadata (eg. name, type) and contents.  The contents can be an array or matrix and so perhaps the content of the X variable is the content of the list item in one element and the index for that list item in a second element.  Still, I'm only guessing – don't understand what a "reference" is.

Can you recommend a better source ?