Share extension not appearing in Catalina

When using Mojave, if I install and launch my app via the Mac App Store its bundled Share extension appears in System Preferences > Extensions. However, on Catalina machines, following the same steps my extension does not appear in Extensions.

If I ask LauchServices to rescan for Share extensions (via https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203129) it still doesn't appear. Rebooting doesn't help.

My app is compiled using Xcode 10.3. Runs on macOS 10.13+.

- The share's Info.plist has the usual required entries: NSExtension, NSExtensionPointIdentifier, NSExtensionPrincipalClass, NSExtensionAttributes with NSExtensionActivationRule dictionary.

- The app and share target are sandboxed and compiled with hardened runtime.

- The submitted build was notarized by Apple.

- xattr on the installed app looks fine (not quarantined). xattr on the share returns nothing.

- codesign on the app and share are fine.

- spctl on the app's fine.

What am I missing? Did Catalina add a new requirement for macOS Share extensions?

Replies

Minor update: "The submitted build was notarized by Apple" is incorrect. I thought MAS submission notarized but that's only for non-MAS, Developer ID-based app distribution.

I've noticed the same issue with my share extension on macOS Catalina. The extension reappeared after I removed the key 'NSExtensionJavaScriptPreprocessingFile' from the share extension's Info.plist. If your extension contains this key as well, try to remove it and run the extension through Xcode.

I've submitted feedback to Apple with a sample project.