Selling 2 versions of an app

I would need some advice here.

I have an app on the appstore for some time.

Let's call it app Basic. Which sells for 1.

I will introduce soon a more powerful version, with Watch support.

Its name will be app Pro, with a specific icon. It will sell for 2.

I considered several options for sale, notring that I want to keep both versions in appStore.

Option 1:

Have the 2 versions sold independantly.

Great for the one who buys directly Pro or just wants Basic because he has no need fopr watch app.

Problem: user who paid 1. for basic will have to pay 2 for Pro when he does not need Basic anymore. At the end, that means that Pro costs 2. or 3. depending how you purchased.

Option2

-> Is there a way to discount on the appstore (I mean, no specific feature in the apps) if user already bought basic ?

Option 3:

Sell Pro through IAP of 1 in Basic

-> But that will force user to buy first Basic, then IAP for Pro to install a second app.

I am certainly not the first to have a dual version scheme. Are there other better options ?

Accepted Reply

This thread has been deleted

>...2 versions for iOS app, the second coming with a companion Watch (but can be used alone as well).

That's clear now, thanks.

In the past, I believe App Review has on occasion politely pushed back against both a basic and pro app distribution scheme, especially when they are otherwise identical as per basic. I am unable to find any evidence that IAP'ing a companion app is either allowed/prohibited. I'd wonder if there is crossover with extensions and widgets, tho...

My opinion in your example, given basic is already in the store is that 2 apps, where one adds a watch companion component, would be ok, but as always, only App Review knows. Might be worth checking the store for prior art, and, pinging support for their opinion.

Ken

Replies

Two versions of an iOS app is one thing - an iOS and a Watch app are another, I think.

>Are there other better options ?

If by 'watch support' you mean a stand alone watch app, you might well be talking about two apps (vs. one with add on), sans IAP, where the mated watch version is sold in the watch store where how-to-sell is taken care of by the backend... see https://developer.apple.com/watchos/submit/

Option 3: Sell Pro through IAP of 1 in Basic

This is the standard approach. There are many examples of 'basic' and 'upgraded' on the app store. And there are many many examples of freemium apps - and your basic/pro is only slightly removed from that.

-> But that will force user to buy first Basic, then IAP for Pro to install a second app.

Why will the user need to 'install a second app'. The IAP will unlock code in the basic app. That might actually be a full set of classes but to the user the app will just become upgraded. Both the 'basic' and the 'pro' code is installed with the 'basic' version - the 'pro' code doesn't get executed unless the IAP is purchased.

And doing it this way automatically installs the 'pro' option to your existing customer base.