Service is not shown in "Full Disk Access" view on Catalina

Catalina (10.15) behaves differently if a service installed via sudo or Finder.

I want our service to be shown in "Full Disk Access" view of the Security tab (the Security and Privacy pane).

I see that macOS 10.15 handles a service (LaunchDaemon) differently when .pkg is installed via sudo or Finder.

If a user clicks .pkg file from Finder it is successfully installed and our service is started.

It tries to access protected folders. Then it shown in "Full Disk Access" view. A user needs to put a tick to

give required permissions. It is expected.

But if I install .pkg using 'sudo /usr/sbin/installer -pkg [pkgname] -target' (it is installed without errors).

But in that case the service is not shown in the "Full Disk Access" view.

I tried to solve the issue and found several ways to make the service shown in "Full Disk Access" view.

1. You need to copy a service bundle to /Applications or ~/Desktop. It becomes visible "Full Disk Access" view.

2. Invoke 'open' command for the service bundle.

I did some investigations.

It seems that there is PackageKit API which registers bundles. Different UIDs are used

when a package is installed via sudo (with uid 0) and Finder (with user uid).

Our service resides in /Library/Application Support folder. May be OS handles this folder somehow differently.

Is there an official API to register a service bundle to make it visible in "Full Disk Access" view ?

Regards,

Yaroslav

Replies

Also curious about this - seeing it randomly show up on some, but not others.