SwiftStrike Sample code

Hello,

In one of the WWDC 2019 reality kit sessions, it was said that the SwiftStrike (not the tabletop but the full version) Sample code would be released.

Any ETA on this?

Actually i find it a bit hard figuring out how to use RealityKit to go beyond basic demo with Reality Composer.

Thanks,

Gil

Replies

I don't see anything besides SS TT. You may need to file a bug and/or burn a support ticket w/DTS to ask if they have the 'full version'.

It's quite annoying that they supposedly have this code working, but haven't released it like they did with SwiftShot from last year.

There's not really much material available for using RealityKit yet aside from things a limited number of developers have made and posted online. Which parts of RealityKit would you like to see more content around?

Hello Max, Your tutorials and sample code on github is really the best material available at the moment on RealityKit. I’m not really sure what i want to see, maybe working with animated usdz characters, or some more exemples of managing events in RealityKit using combine, or a way to replicate your portal node on realitykit (not sure it’s even possible). There are a lot of new concepts and I’m still wondering if RealityKit is an option for a small game or if I should stick to SceneKit... Thanks for your work, it’s really inspiring.

Which parts of RealityKit would you like to see more content around?

I would love to see an example wit custom lights (Spot-, Point- and Directional-Light) with shadows (DirectionalLightComponent.Shadow) in the ARView.CameraMode.nonAR non AR Mode

My dream example would be:

a networked RealityKit scene - setup with one or more IOS devices as an AR-camera and I could observe it ( from a top-view from an iPad or a Mac?) and may move some items via gestures....

@Max: thanks for your work it helped me a lot!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words! I've been working on a full multiplayer AR game using only RealityKit, once I'm finished with that I'll post about my learnings and release the game as a free app, and a public testflight first. With SceneKit it'd be done by now, but everything seems like RealityKit is the way forward for AR as far as Apple is concerned.

Unfortunately the portal example simply cannot be done in RealityKit in a nice way, you'd have to build all the occlusion planes as individual ModelEntities (yuck!). I expect we'll have more to work with soon with this new framework…

Ah yes, I am still yet to touch lights in RealityKit, I don't have a good eye for positioning lights etc; but I can take a look at just making things work with some examples if I make time for it.

I will be posting a working example of a collaborative session laid out very simply but with some depth soon, as I think this is something people will need to really push their experiences forward.

I'm glad what I've posted has helped! I think it's still a very small number of people using RealityKit for now, so I'm glad that those people are finding what I'm putting out there.