Is the iOS app size limit 100 MB, 2 GB or 4 GB?

Greetings, all. I am working on an app that I would like to have as many graphical assets included as possible, so the user will have as simple a first-time experience as possible. But I'm wondering how much content I can include and not run afoul of Apple's certification techies.

I have seen that the "over-the-air" limit on app size is 100 MB, but I don't know what that means. Is that a limit set by Apple? Or is that limit set by mobile carriers? I saw elsewhere that the limit was 2 GB (on what?) but was bumped this year to 4 GB.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be most appreciative!

Thanks!!!

Replies

The 100 MB 'over the air' limit is to avoid runaway fee$ when downloading over a cellular connection only - since the carriers would be involved, I suspect they set the guidelines that Apple works to follow to help avoid surprises and complaints from users.

The 4 GB limit [ https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=02122015a ]is for total app size in the store (follow-on downloads per app can and do exceed that limit), and helps to establish controls so that Apple knows the up/down burdens to expect on their servers, and users can have some idea of what impact the average app may have on their device's storage.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of KMT Down vote reply of KMT