7 Replies
      Latest reply on Oct 21, 2019 2:47 PM by kurash
      kurash Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

One of our pkgs has been put in notarization limbo a few times (slightly different builds each time) with the status "Processing delayed due to a service issue".  The oldest instance it over 2 days old, so I'm not confident that it will ever complete.

What can we do about this?  I've read posts about long delays in notarization that seem to involve service outage, but this seems a bit different. Apple has inserted itself into our build/distribution process in a most inconvenient way.

• Re: "Processing delayed due to a service issue" ?
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (12,295 points)

What was the request UUID?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

This is the one that's a few days old:  786837c6-e9af-4732-aa42-49973acedada

Here's the more recent one:  f9444a87-f3c8-4e15-882f-da558c547623

Thanks

Bug submitted:  FB7395461

From that bug report:

I've narrowed the problem down to a small test zip archive (we are notarizing pkgs, but I thought the zip test would be a simpler demonstration of the problem). The zip contains a folder with a simple .app, and a zip archive that contains a few JavaScript source files and a few .json files. If I just put the app in a zip it notarizes fine -- it's only there so the zip is considered "valid" by the notarization service. Also, if I expand the internal zip and just include the files directly in the container zip, notarization works.

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (12,295 points)

Bug submitted:  FB7395461

Thanks for that.  I had actually run your question past the notarisation folks and they’d already pointed me the direction of that specific Zip archive.  There’s something about it’s format that’s causing the notarisation servers to chuck a wobbly.  This is definitely a problem at our end, so filing a bug was the right call.

Are you creating these .zip files in some weird way?  Or using Apple tools (ditto or Finder > File > Compress)?

The reason I ask is that I downloaded the notarizefail_12761838.zip file from your bug report and it unpacked just fine, but when I double click test7/xxx.zip (I’ve elided the exact name for privacy) to unpack that, the Archive Utility gets halfway through the job and then hangs.  This is on 10.14.6.

Curiously, if I move test7/xxx.zip to 10.15, it unpacks just fine.  If I then re-create the Zip archive using Finder > File > Compress and move it back to 10.14.6, that unpacks there.  Which is why I’m suspicious that it’s related to the way you created this Zip archive.

It also suggests a possible workaround, namely, change the way that you create this Zip archive.

ps Please update your bug with your results as well, to make it easier for the notarisation team to see them.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
                    Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
                    let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"