Clarification on 4.6.2 Templates

Hey everyone

I work for a web development company that is looking to begin offering mobile apps to clients. The way that our business is structured, we currently pick a market and learn about it then begin offering products to help that market.

For example: Right now we are rolling out a suite of digital products that Insurance Agencies could use. These include websites, social media packages, digital marketing, etc etc

One of the items we want to market to insurance agents are mobile apps designed for their agencies. Now keep in mind these are the mom and pop insurance agencies on main street USA NOT progressive, geico, etc etc... So budgets are small and technology expertise is even smaller.

The app we have in mind is pretty simple but would allow some quality of life features for their (the agency's) customers. The app will have about 8 or so buttons to do things such as:

File a claim

Pay my bill

Make a policy change

Store/View my insurance cards

Contact my agent

Get additional insurance quote

Now the nature of the business is such that no two agencies will have wildly different needs in terms of their apps. Basically, we are talking about the same app being purchased by a lot of agencies. Now of course each app would be named TOTALLY different (Joe smith insurance, John Doe Insurance, South Texas Insurance, Chicagoland Insurance, etc etc) and each app would be uploaded to it's agency's developer account (a different apple dev account for each app for each agency) and each app would have different colors, icons, and certainly logos (so branded uniquely to that agency) but the backend functionality of the apps will largely be the same.

So basically the process works like this:

We develop a template app that can be branded to each buyer (agency)

An agency buys the app and we walk them through setting up their dev account

We submit the app to their dev account with branding and naming unique to them (very little chance of 2 of our apps being on the same search screen in the store)

My ultimate question is this: Do we violate 4.6.2 doing this (below for your convienence)? Or since the provider of the apps content (the agency in question) is the one uploading to their own dev account and since it is customized to them for their clients, are we in the clear?

4.2.6 Apps created from a commercialized template or app generation service will be rejected unless they are submitted directly by the provider of the app’s content. These services should not submit apps on behalf of their clients and should offer tools that let their clients create customized, innovative apps that provide unique customer experiences. Another acceptable option for template providers is to create a single binary to host all client content in an aggregated or “picker” model, for example as a restaurant finder app with separate customized entries or pages for each client restaurant, or as an event app with separate entries for each client event.

Replies

Although no one can speak for App Review....it seems like you are doing exactly what 4.2.6 is demanding.

You can search this forum for "spam" to see the various approaches used by others that did, and did not, work.

Apple seems to prefer the other approach - a collection app. In your case you would launch a single app for all insurance companies. The user would open the app and see a single page of "chose your insurance company". Once they made that choice they would be in a branded, company specific, space maintained by you.

Thanks for the help

So you think we ARE following the guidelines or you think we are violating them? Just trying to be clear

And yeah we are aware of the single app approach and we can do that but its obviously much more desirable to have your OWN app instead of be listed in a directory.

> So you think we ARE following the guidelines or you think we are violating them? Just trying to be clear

Yes, I think you are following the guideline. Good luck with App Review!

> And yeah we are aware of the single app approach and we can do that but its obviously much more desirable to have your OWN app instead of be listed in a directory.

Maybe not. If I were John Doe Insurance I might prefer to be included in the "Easy Access Insurance App" with Allstate and State Farm rather than have my own app. Maybe I would even prefer to be one of many "Independent Insurance Providers" rather than a stand alone small guy against a big State Farm. I think of a rental car company - if I were traveling to Provo Utah I would not rent from John Doe Car Rental - I would chose Hertz. But maybe I would use your "Independent Car Renters App" app and see who rents in Provo - and click on John Doe Car Rental. I guess it depends on whether you are push or pull marketing. And if its a push (or pull?), what does it matter if you are one of many in the app.

Guys, What can I do? I have opened and paid for my developer account like a month ago but it is still on pending status, The last time I was told to wait for 2 business days and now they went MIA. Kindly advice.

I'd advise you to start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.