6 Replies
      Latest reply on Nov 2, 2019 3:30 AM by PattyH
      PattyH Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I have trouble to install new produced KEXT file.

I made upgrade OSX to Hi Sierra and place new XFX RADEON VEGA 56 in to MAC PRO 5.1 dual processor system,

It works now, but fans run on 3200 rpm.

"Fan Speed(%)"=65

"Fan Speed(RPM)"=3206

"Temperature(C)"=30

“Total Power(W)"=46

I found soft control software VGTab_en.app which produce KEXT file for remote the speed of fans. Many users used it successfully.

Not me :-( because I have trouble to initialize KEXT.

I used commands:

/ sudo kextload -b /library/Extensions/nameoffile.kext

It do not work and produce this error:

“failed to load -  (libkern/kext) not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextulit(8)”

also I try place and run KEXT in the folder /System/Library/Extension , but same result.

Second way to install I used commands:

sudo su
Password:

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/VegaTab_56.kext /Backup\ Extensions

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/VegaTab_56.kext

cp -R /Users/PattyHDesktop/VegaTab_56.kext /System/Library/Extension </Desktop/VegaTab_56.kext /System/Library/Extensions             

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/VegaTab_56.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/VegaTab_56.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

exit

Result is same, when I run procedure to check for running external KEXT, the VEGA56 kext missing. And of course fans on VEGA56 run so high.

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

I checked privileges for file also, All users can read and write, except Guest.

Can you help me, please?

What is wrong?

I know about differences applied to HI Sierra for safety button in Security pane, but the button do not apear here.

I think problem is that something missing :-) not security, now.

Thank you.

• Re: failed to load -  (libkern/kext) not found check the system kernel/logs for errors or try kextulit
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (12,285 points)

Modern versions of macOS require that KEXTs be signed with a Developer ID signing identity.  Moreover, that identity must be specifically ‘blessed’ for KEXT use, as discussed in this post.  If you were planning to ship a KEXT to a wide audience, I’d recommend that you apply to get your Developer ID KEXT enabled.  However, for a personal use KEXT your best option is to disable SIP (per the instructions in the System Integrity Protection Guide).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

• Re: failed to load -  (libkern/kext) not found check the system kernel/logs for errors or try kextulit
              PattyH Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I made described way to be disabled SIP by csrutil, it worked,

csrutil status

Protection status: disabled

but "kextload" bring me result same like on beginning

MacPro:~ PattyH$ sudo kextload -b /Users/PattyH/Desktop/VegaTab_56.kext

Desktop/VegaTab_56.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

also I try second way, but similar result.

MacPro:~ PattyH$ cd /System/Library/Extensions/

MacPro:Extensions PattyH$ sudo chmod -R 755 VegaTab_56.kext

Password:

MacPro:Extensions PattyH$ sudo chown -R root:wheel VegaTab_56.kext

MacPro:Extensions PattyH$ sudo rm -R Extensions.kextcache

rm: Extensions.kextcache: No such file or directory

MacPro:Extensions PattyH$ sudo rm -R Extensions.mkext

rm: Extensions.mkext: No such file or directory

I try to check if I see kext loaded:

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

I do not see KEXT listed here.

kextstat | grep com.apple

produce long list with manny kexts, but I still do not see this VegaTab_56.kext listed there.

I made performance command, it showed me that card has now reduced fan speed, so it looks kext working, but I do not see it listed.

Or has to check different place with kextstat?

Anny idea to check KEXT?

Let me know, please.

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (12,285 points)

I’m not sure what’s going on here.  Honestly, 10.13 is sufficiently long ago that what limited KEXT experience I had on that system has been paged out )-:  Still, two things:

• Any system that has SIP also has a /Library/Extensions/ directory, and that’s where third-party KEXTs should go.

• Have run you run kextutil -t against your KEXT?  That’s the first step I take in diagnosing issues like this.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
                  Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
                  let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"