Camera & bluetooth usage permission issue with the app working in single app mode (app distributed via MDM)

Hello!

I have a camera & bluetooth usage permission issue with the app working in single app mode.

Briefly about our setup:

- We use VPP in Apple Business Manager for buying our own custom app which uses bluetooth (for communication with other iOS devices) and camera (for ARKit face detection);

- We use Hexnode MDM to install the app onto enrolled supervised iOS devices (the app is set up to be mandatory app in the MDM policy that gets provisioned to the device, as well as it is setup to run in a single app mode);

- Whenever the provisioning process finishes on the device and our app is started, neither camera nor bluetooth permission is shown on first usage. Neither camera nor bluetooth are working as well (the camera screen is just blank, where bluetooth manager is not started). I've checked the device logs in console and found an error for camera permission (error code 103, which is https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/arerror/code/cameraunauthorized). I have configured NSCameraUsageDescription as per documentation, and this functionality works well when launched in a normal mode on any iOS device (it works fine on unsupervised devices and works fine in multi app mode on supervised devices).

So, my question is, is it intended behaviour for supervised devices in a single app mode?

If yes, is there anything I can do to grant camera & bluetooth permissions remotely via MDM?

If not, is it a bug that needs a fix on Apple side?

Replies

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm experiencing the same issue.

Hello,
Did we get solution for this problem? We are also experiencing same issue.

We are asking Location, Camera and Microphone permissions for the app. When app is deployed by MDM on Single app mode, it is asking only one permission at a time and we had to reboot device so that it will ask next permission. We have to send reboot command thrice to get three permissions. This cannot be used as solution, practically. We tried with force prompt for permissions but, it is also not working.
We have to grant permission when we update the app next time via MDM.

Can you please let us know solution for this?