How do I re-enable background wake for VoIP push notifications?

I'm developing a VoIP app using PushKit and CallKit. Early in development, when I was first testing PushKit, I apparently sent too many PushKit VoIP notifications where I did not report the call to CallKit. On my test device, iOS 13 now informs me that it will not start the app from a background state because "it failed to report an incoming call too many times."

Now that I have integrated PushKit and CallKit into the app (that is, I'm calling reportNewIncomingCall() before returning from didReceiveIncomingPush), the underlying cause is solved. Other test devices are working as expected. But on the original device I tested on, VoIP push notifications don't wake the app from background anymore because of this restriction. I tried uninstalling the app but that did not solve the problem.

Is there some time limit after which iOS will allow VoIP pushes to wake the app from background again? Or is some more drastic step needed, like wiping the device?

Replies

We're experiencing the exact same issue. Tried bumping build number, build version, uninstalling the app & acquiring a new PushKit token. Other test devices are working just as expected.