Support for multiple iOS versions

Hi,

My question relates to selecting which versions of iOS to support. I want to support iOS 13, iOS 12 and iOS 11 but I see in the General page xcode that I can select the development target. I have this set to iOS 13. Does this mean that its just iOS 13 that my app will run on? How do I know if users on pervious versions of iOS will be able to downlaod my app?

Thanks a million

Accepted Reply

Xcode provides for a range of iOS version support, the max/base being whatever SDK it ships with, such as iOS 13.x w//Xcode 11.x, and the minimum being set via Deployment OS. If max/min match, then yes, your app will just/only work on compatible iOS 13.x devices.

Users that have not updated to iOS 13.x will not be able to download/install/use an app in that case.

If you want/need to support 13.x,12.x & 11x, then you would just set Deployment (min) to 11.x - just be sure that you've checked that your app actually works on those additional OSs by testing, at least via the simulator, preferably on devices with those additional iOSs. The burden to test is on you and simply lowering the OS support does not promise your app will be fully compatible with all of them.

• thanks for the answer, what if my ios app works fine till 14.2 and not on any one above even 14.3 , Xcode supports up to 14.7 during development.

Add a Comment

Replies

Xcode provides for a range of iOS version support, the max/base being whatever SDK it ships with, such as iOS 13.x w//Xcode 11.x, and the minimum being set via Deployment OS. If max/min match, then yes, your app will just/only work on compatible iOS 13.x devices.

Users that have not updated to iOS 13.x will not be able to download/install/use an app in that case.

If you want/need to support 13.x,12.x & 11x, then you would just set Deployment (min) to 11.x - just be sure that you've checked that your app actually works on those additional OSs by testing, at least via the simulator, preferably on devices with those additional iOSs. The burden to test is on you and simply lowering the OS support does not promise your app will be fully compatible with all of them.

• thanks for the answer, what if my ios app works fine till 14.2 and not on any one above even 14.3 , Xcode supports up to 14.7 during development.

Add a Comment