3 Replies
      Latest reply on Oct 9, 2019 12:38 PM by rnikander
      rnikander Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

I have some code that used to run on my iPad Pro. Today I compiled it for iOS 13, with Xcode 11, and I get errors like this:

validateComputeFunctionArguments:834: failed assertion `Compute Function(merge_layer):

Shader uses texture(outTexture[1]) as read-write, but hardware does not support read-write texture of this pixel format.'

The pixel format is showing as `MTLPixelFormatBGRA8Unorm`. That's what I expected.

The debugger says the device has no support for writeable textures.

(lldb) p device.readWriteTextureSupport

(MTLReadWriteTextureTier) $R25 = tierNone

Did some devices lose support for texture writing in iOS 13?

Rob

• Re: iOS 13, iPad Pro now says hardware does not support read-write texture?
          3DWizard Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same thing here. But it has to do with read_write support, write is supported. Maybe before there has been no warning and read_write was interpreted as just write in cases where this was possible. But I think I used a texture in read_write mode and actually read and wrote to it in a compute kernel on my IPad Pro (1st Gen.) on IOS 12. So I am confused about what is going on here.

BTW: Harware is IPad Pro (1st Gen.) on IPadOS 13.1.2, using XCode 11.2 Beta.

grk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am seeing the same issue on my MBP with a single internal card ( Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 640)  . Read-Write with RGBAFloat32 pixel format was working on MacOS Mojave and Xcode 10.3. But since upgrading to Catalina and Xcode 11 I am getting the following error:  "Shader uses texture(output[0]) as read-write, but hardware does not support read-write texture of this pixel format." Looks like a regression to me.

rnikander Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

I'm experimenting with a possible work around: pass the texture in twice, once as 'read' and once as 'write'. So my shader function looks like this now:

kernel void

merge_layer(texture2d<half, access::read>  inTexture  [[texture(0)]],

texture2d<half, access::read> outTexture [[texture(1)]],

texture2d<half, access::write> outTexture2 [[texture(2)]],

uint2                          gid        [[thread_position_in_grid]])

Swift code passes the same texture for 1 and 2 ...

let cenc = commandBuffer.makeComputeCommandEncoder()!

cenc.setTexture(layerTexture, index: 1)      

cenc.setTexture(layerTexture, index: 2)

It seems to work so far, but I haven't tested it much. It makes me nervous. Don't know if that kind of memory aliasing will cause problems later.