What should I do if finishTransaction fails with network disconnect?

I am completing a transaction by calling finishTransaction after purchasing the item.

However, if the network is disconnected when calling finishTransaction,

Consume state of purchased item fails with “paymentQueue: removedTransactions” Observer callback response.

Is there a parameter that identifies consume state? If not, is there a guide on how to handle it?

Replies

Quoting the IAP FAQ...

"Consider the case where tapping the "Buy" button results in the serial call sequence in an app: The app first sends a product request to the App Store to validate an in-app purchase product identifier, then calls

addPayment:
to make a purchase. If for some reasons (such as a network failure), the product request fails and the app does not verify that the
response.product
array contains the SKProduct object associated with the product identifier, then the app should not call
addPayment:
. If however, the app makes the
addPayment:
call with an
SKPayment
object thats uses an invalid product identifier as seen in Listing 4, at best, nothing happens. At worst, the app crashes for using a nil identifier. To App Review, the issue was triggered by tapping the "Buy" button and nothing happened (or the app crashed)."

I don't believe this can happen. finishTransaction is a local thing.

> “paymentQueue: removedTransactions” Observer callback response.

This indicates finishTransaction worked.

>'finishTransaction:' will fail, but the transaction will be delivered and removed from the queue

This indicates that finishTransaction worked.

>"This In-App Purchase has already been bought. It will be restored for free."

This indicates that finishTransaction worked. The transaction is finished, the purchase completed. If you try to buy a non-consumable IAP a second time you get this message.

1. Does

finishTransaction:
always succeed?

Pretty much, yes.

2. Is the purchased SKPaymentTransaction always 'SKPaymentTransactionStatePurchased' when consume processing succeeds or fails after finishTransaciton: is called?

SKPaymentTransaction is set in a call to updatedTransactions. finishTransaction is called after that call to updatedTransactions - the value of the SKPayementTransaction won't change when you call finishTransaction. But the value won't be preserved after you exit updatedTransactions.

3. Is there no need to distinguish between cases where finishTransaction fails due to network disconnection?

Only in the case of a consumable IAP to avoid giving the purchaser a double credit. You can use paymentQueue:removedTransactions to check that finishTransaction worked. But how often do you expect the network to break given that it was working in the call to updatedTransactions? This is one reason why I think 'better than best practice' is to call finsihTransactions from within updatedTransactions and take over the responsibility to 'complete' the transaction with any remote server.

4. 'Calling 'finishTransaction:' results in a response of 'paymentQueue: removedTransactions:'. At this time, can I not check whether the transaction status is consumed?

I am not sure what you mean by 'status is consumed' but a call to this method indicates you have finished the transaction.

Thank you.

I don't think there's a lot of network breaks.

However, due to the nature of mobile, network disconnection may occur at certain times.

If you call "finishTransaction:" after a network disconnect, it will be removed from the queue. However, when you reboot the app, the purchase transaction is confirmed.

So, it doesn't seem to be a local api, and I see it as an api where failure is possible.

Until you reboot, there is no way to see the corresponding purchase list in the queue where finishTransaction has not completed. Is there a way to update the queue at runtime?

It is difficult to understand your question when you use terms that are not defined.

> If you call "finishTransaction:" after a network disconnect, it will be removed from the queue. However, when you reboot the app, the purchase transaction is confirmed.

Please explain what you mean by "the purchase transaction is confirmed".

> Until you reboot, there is no way to see the corresponding purchase list in the queue where finishTransaction has not completed.

Please explain what you mean by "see the corresponding purchase list in the queue". What queue? What list?

Please explain what you mean by "the purchase transaction is confirmed".

>>

Follow the steps below:

step1. Launch app

step2. Responce paymentQueue:updatedTransactions: (paymentQueue.transacitons is empty)

step3. Request addPayment:

step4. Responce paymentQueue:updatedTransactions: (paymentQueue.transacitons have a purchase transaction.)

step5. Delivery item

step6. Disconnect network

step7. Request finishTransaction

step8. Responce paymentQueue:removedTransactions: (paymentQueue.transacitons is empty)

step9. Relaunch after closing the app

step10. Responce paymentQueue:updatedTransactions: (paymentQueue.transacitons have a purchase transaction.

It's a Transacion of step4)

Please explain what you mean by "see the corresponding purchase list in the queue". What queue? What list?

>>

How to check transaction (Transaction of step4) of paymentQueue between step8 and step9?

Disconnecting the network and requesting a finishTransaction for the purchase transaction removes from the paymentQueue.

Since relaunching the app adds it back, I think finishTransaction may fail depending on network conditions.

I want to check the list that transaction list of paymentQueue (Transaction of unfinished step4) before relaunching.

step2. Responce paymentQueue:updatedTransactions: (paymentQueue.transacitons is empty)

// you finish THIS transaction in step 7

step3. Request addPayment:

step4. Responce paymentQueue:updatedTransactions: (paymentQueue.transacitons have a purchase transaction.)

// you never finish this transaction

step7. Request finishTransaction

// this finishes the first transaction delivered in step2 not the second transaction initiated in step3 and delivered in step4

step10. Responce paymentQueue:updatedTransactions: (paymentQueue.transacitons have a purchase transaction.

It's a Transacion of step4)

// as expected - you never finished THIS transaction