Splash screen not updated (tried different methods available on the internet)

Hi All,

So, I have an app with splash screen using an image (say LaunchScreen.jpg) from assets folder. That image (LaunchScreen.jpg) is then put to the LaunchScreen.storyboard.

After a while, I updated the image with a new image (say LaunchScreenV2.jpg). However, I still see the old image (LaunchScreen.jpg).

This affect all the users who are upgrading from the old version to the new one. I understand they can just delete the app and install it again to solve the problem. But it seems doesn't make sense for most users. We can't just ask the user, "Hey, just delete the app to make sure all the LaunchScreens are fresh.)

I have tired to rename the LaunchScreen.storyboard to something else, upgrade Xcode to 11 GM, clean the build folder, deleted derived data, move the LaunchScreenV2.jpg to the root folder rather than assets folder, remove the launch screen file again and add it back, using the static Launch Image in the assets folder, etc.

None of them works. Any more ideas? Thanks.

Replies

We have the same problem and are facing it currently in production.

We rolled out an update to the AppStore. After upgrading the current version, say version 1, to version 2, the user still sees the splash screen from version 1. However, if the user uninstalls either version 1 or version 2 and afterwards downloads the newest version 2 from the AppStore, she sees the splash screen from version 2.

I renamed the splash screen in the Xcode project, but still the error persists.

Have you found any solution to this problem?

Problem is that launchscreen (splash screen) is stored in cache and not cleared when you upload without deinstalling first.

There may be some trick, like renamin the image iused and removing the old one from xcassets

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33002829/ios-keeping-old-launch-screen-and-app-icon-after-update

Another way is to propose users to offload (not remove) the app. So they will not loose their user data.

h ttps://www.howtogeek.com/344944/how-to-delete-or-offload-an-app-on-iphone-or-ipad/

Solution

Again, thanks to the thread I have referenced above I found a way to solve this issue - name your new image differently from the one there was before in case your new one has the same name as the old one and put it out of the *.xcassets folder to the project directory and reference it in your UIImageView. And that's it.