iOS 13 location permission for determining WIFI SSID

As mentioned in https://developer.apple.com/documentation/systemconfiguration/1614126-cncopycurrentnetworkinfo , we cannot get the SSID or BSSID in iOS 13 if the app doesn't have location permission. I understand that this is for privacy reasons, as the Wi-Fi SSID can be used to obtain location. My app doesn't have any other purpose to use location rather than determining WIFI SSID. Will apple app review team accept this location usage only for determining WIFI SSID? Just making sure before submitting for app review process. Thanks.

Replies

I cannot comment on the the app review teams actions but one great first step to take would be to present clear information to the user why the location permission is being utilized. This can be done in the plist description when setting up an NSLocation permission. That way the consumer of your application and others looking at your application know that location is only being utilized to access SSID and BSSID information.

This is utterly idiotic of Apple. As a user I was asked for location permission by the wemo app for exactly this reason. I declined and decided to research it... and so here I am. What morons. This is a very misleading requirement for users