0 Replies
      Latest reply on Sep 26, 2019 8:50 AM by john daniel
      Sebastian1989101 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Is there any way for us developers to refund In-App-Purchases to users? At the Google Play Store it is possible through the order management (see: https://i.imgur.com/FhhYAEu.png) but I can't find anything like that on ITC.

• Re: Refund In-App-Purchases
          john daniel Level 4 Level 4 (500 points)

No. Any in-app purchases are actually with Apple. Only Apple can issue refunds.

Sebastian1989101 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for the answer. Thats sad because some of Apples support stuff are telling the users that is something the developer has todo... I already had some users with such a reply from them.. Currently I ask my users to make those "claims" thorugh reportaproblem.apple.com...

john daniel Level 4 Level 4 (500 points)

I have heard similar reports. Many people, including sometimes Apple employees, don't understand how the App Store works. But I wouldn't be too sad about it. This is one nice things about the App Store. Developers don't have access to customer information and credit cards. That means we don't have to worry about things like PCI compliance. We also don't have to worry about chargebacks. I'm worried that one day soon all those developers complaining about the 30% are going to get exactly what they asked for.

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,115 points)

>Apples support stuff are telling the users that is something the developer has todo.

While I agree the dev should ordinarily refer app purchase refund requests to apple, there is at least one IAP-centric example where Apple may tell users to contact the dev...when backend services tied to subscriptions are abruptly stopped.

See:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/53712

theofficejackpot Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

See image for what Apple is telling people as of OCT 2019.  Contact app Developer.

In my case, I offer non-subscription based IAP.  User had optoin to buy full access or al la carte, and he bought cloud sync, but then decided he liked the app and bought full access, and now wants a refund for cloud sync.  Apple telling him to go ask me, now I look like the bad guy for saying no.

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,115 points)

>See image for what Apple is telling people as of OCT 2019.

Sorry, we're not allowed to view inline images here - see FAQs 1 & 2 here:For Best Results - Read the Label

>Contact app Developer.

I'd like to see that image...not sure anything about this is new this month. I don't think that Apple is specifically telling the user to contact/ask the dev for a monetary refund, but rather suggesting they contact the dev to ask about functionality, or perhaps something technical they can help sort out.

If the dev can't help, the user should go back to Apple with a valid reason for getting their money back and -not- ask the dev for money. When it's strictly/just about money, politely refer them to: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204084 - and yes, I see where It says they may refer the user to the dev, but again, I think that is only on a technical level, nothing to do with monies.

-=-

Request a refund for an App Store or iTunes Store purchase

Some recent App Store and iTunes Store purchases might be eligible for a refund if the item doesn't work as expected or can't be used.

Describe your issue

Choose a reason for the problem, describe your issue, then tap or click Submit.

Based on the information that you provide, Apple might provide a refund directly, refer you to the developer, require additional information, or might deny the refund request based on refund eligibility.

For more information about refund requests, contact Apple Support.

-=-