Xcode 11 iOS 13 simulator freeze UITextField

I have been developing heavily in Xcode 11 (betas and now GM seed 2) and on a few occasions, I have had the app freeze when trying to type in a UITextField. No crash, no logs, etc. Doing a "Erase all contents and settings" fixes the issue. I have not experienced on any physical devices but it still concerns me. Anyone else experience this? Has me a bit concerned.

Replies

I have also experienced this (using Xcode 11 GM Seed 2, 11A420a). Like you only in the simulator so far, but for me it seems to freeze up completely even if I haven't typed anything.

I would be keen to know, before I submit an iOS 13 update, if this is an Xcode/simulator bug, or if the underlying behaviour has changed so now some aspect of my code needs changing.

This is not a crash, the app just freezes with no crash. And it's as soon as the textfield gets focus.

It happens as soon as textfield is tapped, without typing anything. I would love to know the reason as well. Has me anxious about my iOS 13 updates that are out. I have tested a TON on 3 different devices and have not experienced any problems but have had it happen in my simulator around 3 times out of hundreds of builds.

It also happens in the standard apps. If you tap the search field in Photos it freezes as well.

Well, that certainly seems to indicate it is just a random bug in the simulator. You sir have quite possibly just lowered my stress level tremendously. I honestly can't thank you enough!

Hi,

I tested my app on Xcode 11 Beta and didn't have this issue. Yesterday I updated my Xcode after version 11 became available on the App Store and all of a sudden this started happening.

So is it confirmed that it's a Simulator issue and not app-related?

As a workaround, you can disable 'Automatically Sync Pasteboard'.

Simulator -> Edit -> Automatically Sync Pasteboard

As a workaround, you can disable 'Automatically Sync Pasteboard'.

Simulator -> Edit -> Automatically Sync Pasteboard

This works. I've been having the same issue as well.

Same happens with Pickers.

Same problem on Xcode 11.0 and simulator with iOS 13/iPhone 11.

For me, the workaround of disable "automatically paste" don't work.

The only way is to restart simulator.

Same for me on Xcode 11.0 and simulator with iOS 13/iPhone 11 Pro Max. As soon as the text field gets focus the app in the simulator freezes.

Unfortunately disabling "Automatically Sync Pasteboard" doesn't work for me.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of c6y Down vote reply of c6y

This just worked for me:

Simulator: Hardware > "Erase all contents and settings …"

This didn't work for me unfortunately with the UIAlertController showing a text field.