Catalina > Installer.app issues

o It looks like Installer.app in macOS Catalina introduced a new bug when using Installer plugins.

The - (BOOL) shouldLoad; method of the InstallerSection class is not called anymore.

This is rather annoying since this means that steps that should not be displayed will be displayed in Installer.app.

o It looks like Installer.app likes to log errors that do not exist.

For instance, it emjoys reporting in install.log that it could not load OPTIONAL resources such as readme or license documents.

Could it be possible for Installer.app to stop polluting install.log with this fake issues?

Installer[1176]: Failed to load specified background image

Installer[1176]: Could not load resource readme: (null)

Installer[1176]: Could not load resource license: (null)

Basically, it would be a good idea to spend some time performing QA on Installer.app before releasing macOS Catalina.

Replies

Basically, it would be a good idea to spend some time performing QA on

Installer.app
before releasing macOS Catalina.

[Given that we’re speaking in the passive voice…]

It would be a good idea to file these issues as bug reports and then post your bug numbers here, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I got the same problem during I install the Adobe Acrobat DC - Acrobat_DC_Web_WWMUI.dmg

and the installer hangs while read the license text file.

from the `/var/log/install.log` I can see the following logs

2019-10-20 14:19:29+08 MacBookPro Installer[11353]: Could not load resource license: (null)

2019-10-20 14:19:32+08 MacBookPro Installer[11353]: RemotePlugin: (null) terminated with error: Error Domain=com.apple.ViewBridge Code=17 "(null)" UserInfo={com.apple.ViewBridge.error.description=NSViewBridgeDisconnectionError}