iOS 13 VoIP Changes for PTT

I work on an application that currently uses VoIP notifications through PushKit to play real time streaming messages in the background. Basically, a VoIP notification is received which then triggers the app to begin streaming and playing the audio in real time. Based on the changes for iOS 13, this will no longer be doable via PushKit as it isn't feasiblet to have real-time PTT require the user to answer each and every incoming message manually which would be required if we report each message as an incoming call with CallKit. We need to be able to stream that data in real time.

I've seen it suggested that applications switch to using silent notifications, however this only permits 30 seconds of background execution. Incoming messages last for an open ended amount of time. A user could send a 3 second message or a 45 second message. Is there any way to support this use case in iOS 13 and beyond?

Replies

Hi @taylorbell have you got solution or work arround for this problem. We are facing same issue with our chatting app where silent push don't seems to be a solution. Because main problem with silent push is that it stop working if user or system suspend the app.

Same problem here. What is the solution or workaround for this issue.

Same problem here. I know that some apps works correctly, so there should be a workaround.

Why Apple don't publish a clear response for this issue?

The iOS 13 limitations were to apply in April 2020. Does anyone know if they have already been activated?

We're facing the same issue. We change to use Notification Service Extension, but there's still some problem with insert new message to database.

Was anyone able to find a reasonable solution to this issue a year after this post?