Is there any API to get full disk access info of an application in Catalina OS

Applications which require Full Disk Access in macOS 10.14 Mojave must instruct their users to navigate into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access and add the application to the whitelist. This procedure is complicated and will frustrate new users of such an app.

There should be a API for this – an asynchronous function which, when called by an app, would present the user with a dialog requesting Full Disk Access and, if the user clicks OK, automatically enter the calling app into the Full Disk Access whitelist. This function should pass the user's YES or NO to its completion handler. There should be another function which would indicate an app's Full Disk Access status.

It appears that Apple has added API to check for AppleEvent authorization. Did they added something similar for Full disk access, if yes please redirect me to that API

Replies

No. Full Disk Access works the way Apple intends. It is designed to discourage its use by punishing developers through their customers.

It appears that Apple has added API to check for AppleEvent authorization. Did they added something similar for Full disk access

No. If you’d like to see such an API added to the system, please file an enhancement request explaining your requirements. Make sure to be specific here. This is a common request but a lot of the posts I see are quite vague about how the lack of this API is causing specific problems for their app.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

There should be a API for this – an asynchronous function which, when called by an app, would present the user with a dialog requesting Full Disk Access and, if the user clicks OK, automatically enter the calling app into the Full Disk Access whitelist.

You can file an ER for that if you like, but I’m not optimistic about your chances on that front.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

FB7324331 is my Report number

FB7684258 it the report number I created for this as well.

I could not see @SyamalaDutt's FB report in Feedback Assistant.

A deterministic API would be extremely helpful.