NTLM authentication - keep getting 401 challenges

Hi,

I'm using a single URLSession with a custom URLSessionDelegate to handle 401 challenges from our NTLM-authenticated web api. I would expect that after the first successful handshake I would stop getting them but unfortunately they keep coming for every new endpoint I hit. Is this the default behavior or is there any way to provide those credentials with every request to avoid the 401s? Whenever I create the credentials to pass back I'm specifying the persistence as .forSession so I'm a bit confused.

I also noticed that browsing our web api via Safari results in the same behavior, a 401 for every call, however when browsing with Chrome only one initial 401 challege is issued.

Any clarity or advise would be appreciated.

Replies

First up, I strongly recommend that you avoid NTLM if at all possible. See this post for some background to this recommendation.

Reading through your post, it’s not clear as to whether your concern is one of functionality (you can’t get requests to authenticate) or efficiency (you’re seeing more 401 responses than you’d like). Please confirm.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"