Touch events are not propagated correctly with iPad Pro 3rd gen

Hello everyone!

I encountered an issue specific for iPad OS 13.x (13.0 and 13.1), iPad Pro 3rd Gen and XCode 11.

The problem here is that the touch events are not propagated correctly to a WKWebView view that is behind other View controllers turning the webview unusable and blocking the app from responding since the user cannot execute any actions on the webview.

If I switch to XCode 10.1 that will use iOS 12.1 frameworks the problem is not present.

The problem appears to be related to an extra UIView being used as a parent of the foreground view controller... like this

MyUIWindow

• WKWebView
  • UITransitionView
    • UIDropShadowView
      • UIView <------------------------- This
        • MyUIViewController

That extra UIView appears only with iPad Pro 3rd gen. With other iPads running iPadOS 13.x the problem does not happen and also the UIView is not present.

When compiling for iOS 12.1 the hierarchy is clearer like this

MyUIWindow

• WKWebView
  • MyUIViewController

No extra UI Elements are added.

I have no idea why the extra View elements where automatically added but I wish I could get some directions here.

Best

Replies

Hi, Did you find a solution for this issue?

It looks like is an iPadOS 13 only bug.

Reported it as bug already but I had no answer so far

Actually... it looks like the workaround is just to get rid of the extra UIView by calling from the MyUIViewController (As the example)

[self.superview removeFromSuperview];

and then call

[self removeFromSuperview];

and then attach it to MyUIWindow

So far it works but it leaves the UITransitionView and UIDropShadowView hangin around unused

Did any one find a proper solution?