Catalina Beta 7 and Xcode beta 7 Warning

I do not recommend installing the Catalina beta 7. Earlier I installed the XCode beta 7 ( which when you go to About for it will tell you its Xcode beta 6, but the build number matches what they claim afor Beta 7 ). I installed the Xcode because I couldn't install apps I was testing on iPad ios 13.1 beta. Now that they released the Catalina Beta 7 I instllad it. It has totallly trashed my Xcode apparently... Nothing will open in editor, it says some files can't be found... its a nightmare. Did no one test this?

Replies

“Does no one test this?” is not constructive, because I’m sure they do. And remember, by our very presence here, so do we. ;-)

Maybe it was just a question. They are neither constructive or destructive by nature. They are inquisitive. Now moving on to what matters..... I tried reinstalling Catalina and that didn'st work... Also reinstalled XCode and that made no difference. The only solution that worked was scratching the drive and reinstalling Catalina as a fresh install which picked up the latst beta. Then installing XCode Beta 7 ( that thinks its Beta 6 ) Once that was complete then XCode will now actually open files. Strangest bug I have ever seen. One thing to note about install Catalina Beta 7.. it created a folder on my desktop of relocated items and a pdf file that said this was a bunch of files that other apps, etc may have installed that were not compatible. So it could be that somehow that event caused the issue... or Catalina Beta 7 just doesn't play well with Beta 6 and the clean install is the only solution ifyou are using XCode. I assume if you are here you use Xcode ...

Speaking of XCode if you download Beta 7 and install it and look at "About" it will say that is Beta 6 but the build number matches what the website says is Beta 7. So I'm assuming that it is Beta 7 and that someone forgot to update the "About" file with the correct version. As mentioned... its working and compiling now after a clean install of Catalina.

I still had the beta 6 xip file around, so I fired it up and discovered that while beta 7 has the build of "11M392r" (and calls itself beta 6)

the beta 6 we got a week before has buld tag "11M392q" <-- !
The closeness in those build tags makes me think "spelling change", but I think it's a regression fix, because b6 was taking forever to do completion and code checks, and b7 is back to normal.

> The closeness in those build tags makes me think "spelling change", but I think it's a regression fix…

Based on my experience, that would be the case. That would mean it's the next submitted build of XCode after Beta 6. (I don't know current practice, but not every team submitted to B&I every day when I was there. If a team were implementing a feature that'd take a few days to handle the edge cases, they wouldn't submit until they thought they had that workable.)