Invalid Toolchain

ITMS-90111: Invalid Toolchain - Your app was built with a beta version of Xcode or SDK. Apps submitted to the App Store must be built with the GM version of Xcode 9 and the SDK for iOS 11, tvOS 11, watchOS 4, or macOS 10.13 or later.

This error message returns by email from App Store after my App is submitted. Please help me resolve it.
I am on MacOS Catalina 10.15 Beta
Thanks in advance.

Replies

Hello HeyApple,

It is interesting that you are getting the above error message as it seems to be antiquated, but Apple does have documentation inconsistencies dpeending on the tools you use to submit your applications. Was this response a part of a larger message that was provided by Apple?

Please see the below announcement from Apple regarding iOS SDK requirements.

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=03202019a

Depending on your environment, it could also be possible that your "altool" software is an older version than what is provided with the version of Xcode that built that mobile application. I have experienced this in my environment before.

If you are concerned about version number preservation, have you looked into validating all of your application builds before attempting to upload them? Using the validation feature will provide this feedback instantly without having to upload your build to Apple and wait for the build to be processed to get a response.

Note that being on a OS X Beta will not cause an issue, however, it is not possible to upload a build to the App Store Connect portal with an Xcode beta.

Please let me know if this helps or if you are looking for more direct steps for a resolution.

ChuckMN, Thanks, please would you help me a bit more.
I created the App with xCode 11 Beta 5.

The application validated OK before my upload to the store.

Do I need to re-create the App again with a different version of xCode? If yes, then is there a link where I can download from?

Thanks in advance.

This copy of the “Install macOS” application is too old to be opened on this version of macOS.
I see this error message when I try to open xCode 9.4.1 (Release date June 13, 2018) extracted from Xcode_9.4.1.xip downloaded from https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=xcode

( Presumably I need to re-create my App with xCode 9 for it to be App store worthy. )

I run macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta so I need to downgrade my OS.
What OS is recommended for xCode 9.4.1 ?
Is there guidance how to downgrade OS from Catalina Beta to another ?
Thanks in advance.

>What OS is recommended for xCode 9.4.1 ?

Not sure there is a 'recommended' - macOS 10.13.2 is the Xcode 9.4.1 minimum, so let's go with your choice of High Sierra - See the xcode wiki for that detail.

>Presumably I need to re-create my App with xCode 9 for it to be App store worthy.

Depends. What kind of app are you making? macOS? iOS? tvOS? ...? See Supported Xcode and Application Loader Versions

As well, when that error says no beta tools/SDKs, it's most likely flagging your use of Catalina (and I'm guessing Xcode 11.b which is the only thing that will run on Catalina at the moment), meaning it's not about needing Xcode 9 (and I agree w/chuck that is seems like a blast from the past, but hey, the backend isn't known for it's ability to walk a straight line, so...), which, BTW is not compatible with Catalina, so yes, you need to work with the latest release versions of macOS/Mojave and a compatible Xcode which is currently 10.3

The point is, devs can't use betas when building and submitting apps for-the-store that are expected by you to go to review. Note that TestFlight w/internal testers where a review isn't needed is a different example.

Hello HeyApple,

@KMT is spot on that you are being rejected due to the use of a beta version of Xcode. Apple only allows for builds to be uploaded to the App Store Connect portal with GM seeds of Xcode. I havent actually tested if they would reject a build from Xcode 10.3 on Catalina, but I dont imagine that they would because the Xcode tools (xcodebuild) would be the same regardless of the version of macOS, but both of these values are indicated in your Info.plist as the below values. I can test this if you would like me to.

DTXcodeBuild = Version of Xcode used to build the Application

BuildMachineOSBuild = Version of macOS used with Xcode

I would recommend building the application with Xcode 10.3 which should not have comptability issues with Catalina, but if you would like to compile with 9.4.1, you will need to downgrade to Mohave or High Sierra. I was running into compatability issues on the Catalina Beta release with 9.4.1 so I got another machine to run Mohave for a project I am working on.

Also, just to share some additional information, in theory, when you upload a build, it goes through multiple states, including validation before upload, and then two processing activities post a successful upload where you are running into the error provided by Apple. This is intended behavior (that your validation passes and upload fails because they are two very different activities), but could be improved in my opinion by Apple.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this and I would be happy to share information.

Hopefully this helps!