iPad Restore IAP Purchase Not Connecting to App Store

I have had two user contacts in the last week where they easily install my Universal app on another iPhone, restore their previous IAP upgrade purchase (added functionality - interconnectivity via BTLE between iOS devices), BUT when they install to a second device, exclusively an iPad (both iPad Airs - so far), and try to restore the IAP purchase, my app is not able to connect to the App Store for the IAP upgrade. My app displays a message when there is no Internet access or no connection to the App Store with the same error message.

My app has not been updated since 2017 with a dozen or so IAP upgrades as one of its main features. I have not been able to reproduce the error on my iPhone X and iPad Pro (on iOS 12.4.1 as is with these users). And no Crashes in the last two weeks with Xcode Organizer. In fact, the connection and upgrade on my devices and network is instantaneous. I have had users not be able to connect to the App Store a couple times a year that is solved by just trying again later.

In both cases, with the latest iOS, they have 1) demonstrable Internet connections, 2) tried later several times over days, 3) tried deleting the app to their iPads and reinstalling it, 4) powered down and powered up the iPad.

I fear these two incidents may be the tip of the iceberg for some bizarre reason, but as I cannot reproduce this, I'm clueless.

Does anyone know what could be causing this, or how I can diagnose these errors?

Replies

Does your code do anything different if it detects an iPad?

In an iPad some things are child viewControllers are presented as popover viewControllers and when they are dismissed the viewWillAppear method is not called in the parent viewController. Will that affect your code?

Yes, it's a univeral app, but the restore process works perfectly on my iPads (and has for several years on dozens/hundreds of other customer iPads since 99% of users purchase the upgrade to control their iPads).

>My app has not been updated since 2017

Putting that data point aside, because 2 years can be a long time in the store in some examples, I think, you may want to burn a support ticket w/DTS via the Member Center using a project that demos the issue and ask them to take a look.

If it has worked on dozens/hundreds of iPads perhaps the reason is that this 'tip of the iceberg' is really two lads trying to steal your IAP. Ask them for their email receipt from Apple indicating their initial purchase 'to allow you to figure out what is wrong'.

Ha, that thought has entered my mind. I don't think my app is popular enough to bother pirating on ****-broken phones. Haven't heard back from either although one of their email addresses was from a community-based biblical teaching center (not that there is anything wrong - or right - with that ;).

>Haven't heard back from either

That's a data point supporting "... trying to steal your IAP".

>don't think my app is popular enough

I don't think it matters...after all, pirated apps, regardless of popularity, are uploaded to those sites for the sole purpose of attracting eyeballs and gaining access to wide open devices. Those sites aren't after your app/IAPs, they just want fresh fodder for their schemes.