Product / Archive / Generic iOS Device build fails

Hi there,

I have an app in xcode and i can do builds with a direct iOS device (a physical iPhone 6s Plus) and xcode builds the app and pushes it to the device.. awesome.

however the next step for me is to get it on testflight and to do this my understanding is that i must go to product / archive to build an uploadable file. I am told to select "generic ios device" when doing this so I do but get the error.

"Build system information

error: (my app) has conflicting provisioning settings. (my app) is automatically signed for development, but a conflicting code signing identity iPhone Distribution has been manually specified. Set the code signing identity value to "iPhone Developer" in the build settings editor, or switch to manual signing in the project editor. (in target '(my app')"

everything i try to tweak in there doesn't seem to matter. Anyone dealt with this before?

Replies

> a conflicting code signing identity iPhone Distribution has been manually specified.

Was that a conscious effort, or does that come as a surprise?

Remember, you can't archive if:

- a simulator is selected instead of a device*

- there is an error when building*

- you haven't finished the 'Prepare for Submission’ stage for that app in App Store Connect

- See: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Chapters/ChangingAppStatus.html

- you've recently renewed your (required) apple developer account, and not yet updated the provisions to reflect that activity

* You must have at least one device registered in the Member Center, but it doesn’t have to be connected to your Mac/Xcode when building, in which case select ‘generic iOS/tvOS device'

- - - If this is just about testing to a device and you're getting a message that Xcode can't archive, try deleting all older versions of that app on the target device first

Also see TN2215: Why is the Archive menu item grayed out in Xcode ?

>everything i try to tweak in there doesn't seem to matter

Be sure to perform an option-clean build folder via the Product menu after juggling those settings.

BTW, thanks for starting your own thread & good luck.