How to deal with altool being both clever and stupid?

Context:

I have 2 .pkg files with the same identifier.

The only difference between them is in their postinstall scripts.

Problem:

If I archive these 2 .pkg files inside a .zip and then submit the .zip for notarization via altool, it fails complaining that an instance of the .pkg is already being processed by an internal instance of the Apple service.

If I just submit 1 of the 2 .pkg files and try to staple the second one, it fails stating it can't find a reference in a iCloud something service for this second .pkg. Which is what I was expecting in the first place.

Question:

Considering how long the notarization submission and wait-for-status processes are, wouldn't there be a way to be able to submit both .pkg files at the same time?

This makes me also wonder if that kind of cleverness ending up being not so clever would not prevent submitting multiple versions of the same package in one shot.

Replies

I have 2

.pkg
files with the same identifier.

Are referring to the

--primary-bundle-id
value? If so, I recommend that you not use the same identifier for two different products.

Keep in mind that this identifier does not have to correspond to the identifier of the final product that the user sees. See the discussion in Customizing the Notarization Workflow.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

There is only one --primary-bundle-id value as the 2 .pkgs are archived in the same .zip file. (There is also one notarization request).

The primary-bundle-id is not the same as the identifier of the package.