Is Password Autofill broken in iOS 13 (beta 8)?

I'm currently in the process of setting up our apple-app-site-association file on our server and testing password autofill between our app and website (including the option to use an automatic strong password)

Everything is working as expected on iOS 12 (password autofill, strong password suggestions, saving password in the keychain, etc), but it's not working at all on iOS 13 (I started working on this in beta 7 and still trying in beta 8). On our "create account" screen, if I tap into the password field, I'm not getting the option to use a Strong Password. In the console I get:

Cannot show Automatic Strong Passwords for app bundleID...due to error: Cannot save passwords for this app. Make sure you have set up Associated Domains for your app and AutoFill Passwords is enabled in Settings

If I go to the login screen in the app, it's not offering the saved password that's in my keychain for our domain. Again, this all works fine on my iOS 12 device.

For the create account screen, we have the textContentType set to .username and the password field set to .newPassword. On the login screen, the password textContentType is just set to password.

The only thing I can possibly think at this point is we don't have the MIME type set to application/json for the apple-app-site-association file yet. Perhaps iOS 13 is more strict about that?

Replies

All I can say is that it works in our app (iPhone 6s, iOS 13 beta 8). But unfortunatelly I've got no idea why it isn't working in your app.

Hey, I'm also experiencing the same issue. I have done everything as per the documentation and followed a lot of tutorials. Password autofill works great on my side for login so it seems that my .well-known/apple-app-site-association is in order. My problem is that it nevers suggests me a new password for sign up. I have compatibility for iOS 10, but I am running on the latest beta of iOS 13 (iPhone XS).

Getting the exact same issue - did you ever find a solution?

nope - still wrestling with this one (I set it aside for a while and just came back to it this week). Haven't found a solution yet (and the issue persists into iOS 13.1). We did fix the type on our server to return application/json, but it's still not working.

Yeah still seeing the same as well. Reported the bug to Apple, but no response yet.

This screams like an iOS 13 issue. Just tested my app built against the iOS 13 SDK; autofill/suggestion worked on iOS 12, but not iOS 13 or 13.1.

For anyone still encountering this issue, I was able to solve it by deleting the app from my test device, restarting the device, and then building and running again.

The docs say deleting and re-installing should be enough to reset the associated domain cache, but mine didn't work until I also restarted the device.

Hi Chris,

Did you figure out anything on this issue? We see the same problem! Universal Links work perfectly. Keychain is fine but for some strange reason the "Strong password" is not being proposed anymore since iOS 13 despite all the code updates etc by the book.