Calculate distance from device to target point on the screen?

I understand the more common scenario where you can measure the distance from point A to point B, given you manually set the initial point and walk from that to the destination. But I'm wondering if its possible to calculate the distance from the device to the target point (tapped by user) on the screen without asking user to move to the target point?

The whole reason for this is I'm working on a new enhancements for our existing app where users can take photos of the object from different angle. In order to yield better photos, I want the user to stand within the specified range from the target object (like between 7 and 8 feet from it for example). I imagine user point camera at the object, tap somewhere on it (preferable center) and then the system will calculate the distance from the device to that point while displaying this info, so user know how to adjust their position.

Replies

It's possible to use ARKit to make virtual measurments, but extrapolating an 'optimum' camera distance based on a given set of variables is on you, I think - see:

h ttps://virtualrealitypop.com/ios-11-tutorial-how-to-measure-objects-with-arkit-743d2ec78afc