App previously for iPad only. Now universal. Do users need to pay again to download on iPhone?

I had an iPad only app for several years. Yesterday I released a new version which is universal (works on both iPad and iPhone).

Many users are complaining they had previously bought the iPad version and now when they try to download it on their iPhones they have to pay again for it.

I uploaded one universal build and did not change the Bundle ID for the app ever.

Is this the case? or is it a glitch on the App Store?

Accepted Reply

Sounds like a glitch, perhaps due to timing. If they own the iPad version they should not be charged - the process should just involve a download/install via the store.

If this is about users asking you for refunds directly, politely steer them towards the store/apple, instead.

If complaints continue and appear legitimate, ping support and ask them to take a look.

Replies

Sounds like a glitch, perhaps due to timing. If they own the iPad version they should not be charged - the process should just involve a download/install via the store.

If this is about users asking you for refunds directly, politely steer them towards the store/apple, instead.

If complaints continue and appear legitimate, ping support and ask them to take a look.