4 Replies
      Latest reply on Aug 9, 2019 8:52 AM by john daniel
      RamsayCons Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I have been asked the above question by a long-time developer, and I don't know the answer.  To find out I fired up Xcode (11.0beta6), added my non-developer AppleID to the account preferences, flipped the signing team from my developer account to the new "Gavin Eadie (Personal Team)," hardened the app, archived it and tried to send it for notification with "Developer ID" selected as the distribution method.

My non-dev account was happily given an "Apple Development Certificate" via Xcode (visible in account prefs) but notarizing was refused by:

Team "Gavin Eadie (Personal Team)" is not enrolled in the Apple Developer Program.

Is "enrolled in the Apple Developer Program" the same as "hasn't paid $99 this year"? And how did I get a Apple Development Certificate if I'm not enrolled?  The documentation around this feature is astonishly confusing.  Is the "Apple Development Certificate" that Xcode got me not a "Developer ID certificate" as referenced in the following Xcode help text?

"In some cases, you may want to distribute an app outside of the Mac App Store. Because the app won’t be distributed by Apple, assure users that you are a trusted developer by signing your app with a Developer ID certificate. Users gain additional assurance if your Developer ID-signed app is also notarized by Apple."

"A notarized app is a macOS app that was uploaded to Apple for processing before it was distributed. When you upload a macOS app to be notarized by Apple, you’ll select Developer ID as the distribution method and it’ll be code signed with a Developer ID Application certificate."

• Re: Is macOS notarization possible without spending $99?
          KMT Level 9 Level 9 (14,505 points)

>Team "Gavin Eadie (Personal Team)" is not enrolled in the Apple Developer Program.

>Is "enrolled in the Apple Developer Program" the same as "hasn't paid $99 this year"?

I assume you meant "Is "-not- enrolled in the Apple Developer Program" the same as "hasn't paid $99 this year"?" Correct, same as.

What is allowed based on account type is here: https://developer.apple.com/support/app-capabilities/

I see no mention of notarization, so...

RamsayCons Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

sorry about the typo ..

We (you, John Daniel and I) all agree that "enrolled in ADP" requires the $99/y subscription.  The URL you quote only applies to ADP members.  But my question was intented to ask what capabilites a person has who has not paid $99.  That is, people as described "Apple Developer" in the Xcode help at:

https://help.apple.com/developer-account/#/devadf555df

Quoting, they are: "Apple ID holders who have agreed to the Apple Developer Agreement to access certain resources on the Apple Developer website. No cost is associated with this agreement and developers cannot distribute apps."  This agrees with John's assertion ".. distributing apps to other people is an entirely different question" but it doesn't agree with experiment!

An "Apple Developer" account can build a macOS app on one Mac and run it on another with no difficulty .. I just did it.  They cannot distribute apps via the App Store because you need to be an ADP member to get a distribution certificate.  You don't need to be a member to get a developer certificate, Xcode gave me one today on an unpaid "Apple Developer" account.  Such unpaid accounts can also apply the "hardened runtime" capability.  These two factors are all that notarization asks for, so why can't an "Apple Developer" get their app notarized?

PS: I am a forever ADP member, I'm knowledgable about the purpose and value of notarizing and I notarize all my apps.  Why can't all Mac developers notify their apps?

john daniel Level 3 Level 3 (390 points)

Haven't you ever wondered why, when you just want to sign in to your free iCloud account, or after you've updated your phone, you have to agree to a 34 page iTunes legal agreement? Did you ever think there were people out there asking "why isn't this a 37 page agreement?" Some of the terms on page 17 aren't fully defined and/or are slightly in contradition to the statements on page 31!!!!!

Well, now we know.

john daniel Level 3 Level 3 (390 points)

Is "enrolled in the Apple Developer Program" the same as "hasn't paid $99 this year"?

Yes.

And how did I get a Apple Development Certificate if I'm not enrolled?

Pay $99 and enrol.

Is the "Apple Development Certificate" that Xcode got me not a "Developer ID certificate" as referenced in the following Xcode help text?

No.

Apple has made some provisions so that developers can build and install their own apps, or open-source apps, on their own machines. You can do this for free. But distributing apps to other people is an entirely different question. The world is currently overflowing with scams, malware, and adware. The Notarization process allows Apple to check all Mac software for malicious content before it is ever installed. There is a small fee to access that process.